Friday 5 March 2021

From MartinC Chambers of Challenge - Knights Solar (148pts)

 My slow crawl through the Chambers of Challenge has found me in the Knights Solar. When the Challenge started I had 2 main plans (WW1 Caucasian Campaign and 10mm Italian Wars). obviously other stuff got in the way, like most of us I get very distracted by shiny things. I've pretty much completed all my planned and unplanned 28mm stuff and the Italian Wars are calling. 

I have loads of these figures, 1/2 from ebay and 1/2 from Pendraken. As always the figures are great and some Landsknecht aquebusiers have already made an appearence. Now it is time for the knights, the last hurrah for them really.Ordinary men in pike blocks and manning artillery put paid the blue bloods of Europe (and about time too).


They are pretty

They are based for Kings of War, one of my favourites although I never win, but it uses ridiculous amounts of dice and that I like. The results of rolling 20+ dice tend to average out nicely but there is always that chance of 16 hits or 20 misses which to me seems most like how battles would work.

There are 8 regiments here a 8 knights per regiment, 1/2 size of a normal KoW regiment but that seems to work with 10mm figures and means I can fight significant battles on my 3x4ft space. 

On another note, have seen Mr Roundwood's 3-D map I'm going to make one of those to fight Italian Wars campaigns. It looked brilliant and so I've bought the stuff.

Scores on the doors

64 x 10mm mounted knights = 128
Knight's Solar = 20
total = 148pts

Right 10mm Lansknecht crossbowmen next, I am an idiot




20 comments:

  1. What an impressive sight! Very well done Martin! It's in massed formations like here that the smaller scales really begin to shine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain Martin.. just finished up 10mm halflings... so would that make them quarterlings??? In any case.. they be damn small.. and it was done as a pallet cleanser.. so I have no idea why I did so many! Good luck with the next batch! As they do look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, I do enjoy painting 10mm, doesn't need grat artistic skill, it's all about the impression they give

      Delete
  3. Lovely work Martin. I enjoyed your reasoning for liking Kings of War - I think I would enjoy a game of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, recommend KoW. Its bonkers and rewards good generalship

      Delete
  4. Great looking pile of gendarmes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work on all those lances!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fantastic miniatures - at first glance I thought these were 28's so really superb painting.

    However, I am a little cross - how am I supposed to catch you when you're churning out brilliant work like these beauties? It just isn't fair.....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. you aren't supposed to catch me but at 1 and 2 points each shouldn't be too hard. I sure you have another suburb of Stalingrad up you sleive, and then there is Noel

      Delete
  7. Those are great Martin! From a probability standpoint there is a lot to be said for buckets of dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. do like the probability thing

      Delete
    2. And back in the day we replaced the handful of six spiders with simple to read charts for a single d100 roll with bags of modifiers because it was more scientific

      Delete
    3. and much more flukey. 1 dice is luck. toss 1 coin and 50:50 heads or tails, all or nothing. toss 20 and you will probably get 8-12 heads. do it 10 times and you will get 98-102 heads in waves of good and bad throws

      Delete