Wednesday 26 January 2022

From Bruce R - AWI 9 mounted Perry Miniatures and 8 Front Rank foot (130 points)

For my last update of the week here are some troops for the American War of Independence, the Revolutionary War, or as some of my relatives wish us on the 4th of July "ungrateful colonists"! 

Some local gamers and I are usually cranking out WWII figures for a spring weekend of Bolt Action.  The host decided to change it up and switched to AWI and I'm all about it.  Last year I did get some Hessians finished during the Challenge and in early winter my goal was to have a Sharp Practice size force for the ungrateful colonists as well.  The host (we call it GarageCon as it is in his garage) wants three tables.  Looks like I need more units.  

So here is the start.  We placed a large order with Perry Miniatures last year and shared the shipping as that is a drawback for us here in the colonies.  I had finished all the Perry foot previously and had not done the mounted troops from the order.  We have played a couple of games and these mounted Queens Own were calling my name so here they are.  

These chaps have obviously been foraging in the countryside as they have full sacks on the back of the horses.  I've used the airbrush with a base of dark brown over the black undercoat.  From there I add a layer of lighter brown and paint the riders and equipment.  I than used a wash of Agrax Earthshade.  I than highlight to include another lighter shade on the horse.  I'm not a fan of painting horses yet think these turned out okay.  The commander has been given powdered hair as having seen some "Turn" Washingtons Spies, I always have to have a Simco leading my British.  He is too colorful. 










The cavalry done on to some ungrateful colonists.  I selected New Jersey simply because I like the uniforms.  I also noted information indicating even within companies their uniforms were slightly different.  This allows me to paint the next section with a slight change to pants, shirts, and hats.

My ungrateful colonists painted last year for Sharp Practice (50+) were Pennsylvania troops and brown as the base color, so blue and red was desirable.  These are Front Rank figures now owned by Gripping Beast.  I really like the large sculpts, both for painting and on the table.  

My next group of Ungrateful Colonists.

New Jersey Blues:





So a wrap for this Wednesday colonist.

9 mounted 28mm = 90 pts
8 foot 28mm         =40 pts
Total                      =130 pts

***

Great work Bruce! I also struggle painting horses (but I do SO love having cavalry on the table) - I think you have great results all around here, well done!

GregB
   



13 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed Bruce. The cavalry in particular are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done that man! They will look splendid on the field of battle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't look like you struggle with horses to me and the militia look great too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bruce:
    These are awesome figures, always love to see some AWI even if I resist it's allure for all my might (I think it's a period that speaks more to Yanks and Brits than to us Canucks). I live in Simcoe County, Ontario, and the image I have of him is of a portly, aging administrator who indulged his wife and her little dogs, which ended up lending their names to local landmarks. Your Simcoe is probably more interesting. :)
    Cheers,
    MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice entry with great painting Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always nice to see some AWI - super paint jobs

    ReplyDelete