Wednesday 26 January 2022

From PaulSS: 4th Maine Infantry Regiment (62 points)

Because of previous rules sets played, my collection of Union troops for the American Civil War contains quite a lot of stands of troops, but not a lot of command stands. As I'm now playing mainly Pickett's Charge or Longstreet I need to get some more command painted, but don't need that many infantry.

So, this entry looks like a small unit representing the 4th Maine Infantry Regiment, but once some of the surplus stands already in the collection are added it will be fielded at a more normal six to ten stand strength.

All the figures come from the American Civil War Union Infantry 1861-65 set of plastics, and I've assembled the infantry in this unit at right shoulder shift.

The pair standards are from GMB Designs.

Looks like a made a bit of a mess of basing though, that guy with the red neckerchief seems to be wandering off to his left, the sergeants need to get that sorted!


Twelve 28mm foot figures with two standards should add 62 points to the board for me.

American Civil War Duel Totalizer: 81 foot (464pts)

Napoleonic Duel Totalizer: 8 foot, 2 mounted (100pts)

***

Very nice stuff Paul. I have been contemplating a sort of ratio-adjusting effort on my Franco-Prussian War collection, painting more command stands to generate more units for the table. Glad to see these sorts of things ferment in the minds of others in the hobby too - and in your case, you shrug and take action! These look great, I love the blue on your federal troops. I've no doubt the one fellow marching a touch out of step will soon by sorted out by the right NCO...

GregB

28 comments:

  1. More lovely Union troops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stout bunch of lads, Paul, they'll do the Union proud. That fellow wandering out of line was always me on my recruit course.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, very, very nice. These union troops look great in blue, and I'm tempted to get some of them... But then again, the squirrel inside me tells that I have not enough focus to paint a decent sized force in this century..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Teemu, you could start with just a small Sharp Practice force, that is how these started until my megalomania got out of control ;)

      Delete
  4. Very nice Feds as always Paul. I’m sure Private Kerchief is off to water a bush and will be back in line toot sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great regiment! I do like how good they look in your scenic background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sander, Mrs Scrivs painted the backdrop

      Delete
  6. Great looking Union unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. More lovely ACW straight from your desk. Well done Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. Painting at its best - outstanding - really crisp and so neat

    ReplyDelete