Wednesday 26 January 2022

From GeorgeS - Ork Boy goes to Vulcan and some...54mm Prussians for the Death Star (125 points)

Hello adventurers !

Two entries again this week and let's start with my first Ork Boy!

As in last year's event, I'm taking the opportunity with this challenge to paint things that sat in my pile of shame or spare boxes for years. Also it is a good change to paint new things and experiment in new subjects and techniques.

 

 
So here it is my first 28mm Warhammer 40k Ork "Boy" figure (last year I painted my first Ork Gretchin ).
 
The painting scheme is out of my mind and not some official race or tribe colours...just wanted very much to add that chequered motif that I see on them , mostly painted on armours or metallic parts.  As this figure comes to me as scrap from eBay I should go on with what I have :) 




 




 
      So this is my explorer for Vulcan! 25 points and keep going...

 
Next entry and the journey goes to Death Star. A questionable design. Hah! Yes it is so....

I have bought these figures from Armies in Plastic - they were supposed to be 1:32 Prussian Infantry from 1870. Unfortunately there was no picture of the actual poses but I trusted the brand....hoho! Surprise! They appear to be classic German Infantry from the WW1... 
 
Disappointing. Though I should continue with the project, so...I painted them as Prussian Infantry, painted the helmets with the Eagle though the mold have them wearing the Helmet cover from WW1, remove the Grenade guy and converted the officer's Luger pistol with a sabre sword and scabbard..
 
Tadaaa! We have a " Questionable" set of Prussian Infantry from the Franco Prussian Wars...
 





 
Let me know how convinced you feel with that set. If you feel some how convinced.....
 
So 80+20 points for that set and we are ready for the inner circle next week!
 

 
 That's all for now!

...till next time...

Keep Up The Brushes!!
 
***
 
Hi George - thanks for another wonderful submission. Your painting skill is top shelf, and on full display here. The Ork Boy looks great! Your approach of just painting whatever you felt looked right is the right one, especially for Orks...even the "formal" guides of the GW books often just point out how random the Orks can be. The figure looks great. 

As to your hybrid Franco-Prussian War...well that is quite interesting! I will leave it to the much smarter folks in The Challenge who know about WW1 to comment on the uniforms, although those back packs sure look WW1 to me. Nonetheless, the 1870-style paint up looks lovely, well done. 

Now, let's see...Prussians for the Death Star? A bit of a stretch, but seeing those backpacks, I'll allow it, I guess - those figures are definitely of questionable design...

GregB

28 comments:

  1. I'd buy those Prussians! :) But did you buy the ticket to Sarah's Star Yacht...?

    Any way, very neat painting and the Ork looks good. So do the Prussians - or Prussian pretenders. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Teemu!
      But why should I buy a Ticket from Sarah?
      I think you go to Sarah when you cannot complete a task and so she helps you to move on trespassing a stage..(?)Is that correct?

      Delete
    2. Usually you move from one planet to the adjacent planet. But if you want to hop to another planet, then you use Sarah' yacht. Vulcan and Death Star aren't adjacent, so you need Sarah's help. Minions will probably confirm my assumption.

      Delete
    3. Hi George - I'm sure Sarah will extend some credit for you. We would love to see a Star Yacht figure from your brush!

      Delete
    4. Please accept my apologies for misunderstanding.As we travel out in space I thought that my spaceship can go anywhere in the same orbit. I will happily paint a figure for Sarah.
      Now about my next destination, can I go to the middle orbit on Corsucand?

      Delete
    5. Yes, after finishing four planets, you can choose the planet on the next ring.

      Delete
    6. Goerge - I've just checked back to your previous posts. In your first post you started on Arda and hopped to Glorantha; your second post you said that you were staying on Arda preparing to move to Vulcan; and in this one doing Vulcan and then the Death Star. Assuming you in fact meant that you were staying on Glorantha, your map is incorrect.

      As for the planet hopping within a ring, admittedly Curt didn't make it absolutely clear that you can only move to an adjacent planet, but the fact that Lady Sarah's Star Yacht allows you to travel to any location within the same ring should have been a big clue, as well as being in line with the last two Challenge maps.
      By my reckoning, you owe Lady Sarah three female figures for your trips: Arda to Glorantha; Glorantha to Vulcan; and Vulcan to Death Star.

      Delete
    7. Thank you Tamsin. As you can see I have taken the think of the travelling within the orbit very "light". As explained above I misunderstood the movement so I moved arbitrarily on the map.Ι will correct that by painting the requested female figures before moving to the middle circle ;)

      Delete
  2. love the ork but those Prussians are marvellous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. Great blitz box or and love the 54mm. Excellent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely brushwork George! The basing and the corroded metal on your ork are gorgeous. The smooth work on the Prussians is amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend! I really like the rusted axe as it was a testing technique for me. Really works good :)

      Delete
  5. Great work on these figures George. I got a chuckle out of the origin of the Prussians. My experience is that AIP figures get morphed into many, many different eras and theatres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! Yes AIP is the only brand providing so many different subjects . But in this case they have just change the name and they used WW1 figures. Not accurate at all...

      Delete
  6. Lovely ork and Prussians of whatever period!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lain! You can say a "coctail" period...hahaha

      Delete
  7. Wow, the Orc is really well done but the Prussians are superb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Prussians George, and the Ork looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi George:
    These Prussian/German lads are so good, I love the blue of their uniforms, and again, you're a master of faces.
    THese would look great going up against late Victorian/Edwardian Brits in Home Service uniforms and the spiked pith helmets, just saying. :)
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike! It is a great tip for the future ;)
      Right now the setup is for the French Zouaves against them. I will post the full set on my blog when it is done. I'm on the basing stage at the moment. Cheers :)

      Delete
  10. Good work! It is frustrating when the company is lazy.

    ReplyDelete