Wednesday 26 January 2022

From PaulSS: American Civil War horse holders - (40 points)


When I started the challenge I had planned to grow my American Civil War collection, but in conjunction with growing the Napoleonic collection too. Well, that has not happened and I have really been getting into slapping paint on the ACW collection, including purchasing and painting new units, well that's not going to help reduce the lead pile!

This entry sees a pair of Perry Miniatures horse holders to support the dismounted cavalry that I painted four years ago, tardy!

The Union horses and holder are painted in a more uniform scheme than the Confederate ones, but both are lovely sets, although being metal figures from the Perry's do take quite a bit of cleaning up. 

Looking what's on the paint table, you can expect much more American Civil War in the near future, another order has gone into North Star, and the Napoleonics look like they will be waiting a while.

Two 28mm cavalry figures with four horses should add 40 points to the board for me.

American Civil War Duel Totalizer: 81 foot, 2 mounted, 4 horses (504pts)

Napoleonic Duel Totalizer: 8 foot, 2 mounted (100pts)

***

Great work Paul. Horse holders...seems like a sort of unglamorous role for the toy soldiers on our table top, yet also an important thing to represent, especially for the ACW setting. I just love the look of your horses, and will in fact steal a couple of their colour patterns for some horses I am working on right now! Lovely, smooth brushwork as always. 

GregB

31 comments:

  1. Nice horse-holder teams, Paul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very colorful and I’m jealous of your horse brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely smooth work as always Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, especially on the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to ride when I was young and seeing posts with horses make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these kind of little vignettes make a tabletop-battle so much more interesting and believable, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous work on your horse holders!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great brushwork on these little guys and I'm also impressed by the groundwork on your bases

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paul:
    Nice work on neglected but important figures, especially if you want your cavalry to go from mounted to dismounted. One suggestion if I may, from my reenacting experience, is to vary the colours on Union blankets, most of the replicans and a few originals I've seen were brown or gray, though some I'm sure were blue. Same with canteen covers. FWIW.
    Cheers,
    MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul these are fantastic, your painting really brings them to life - I take my hat off to you

    ReplyDelete