Wednesday 26 January 2022

From RayR - Donnybrook - Polish Winged Hussars (185 points)

  


When you think of renaissance Polish, there's only one real troop type to talk about.
The Winged Hussars!!!


These fine body of men are from Redoubt Enterprises, now sold by Grubby Tanks.


I pondered for quite some time what make of figures to buy for my Hussars, Old Glory, The Assault Group, Essex, Foundry or Warlord?
 
Price was a consideration, while not the cheapest, I chose Redoubt as the Warfare Miniatures Ottomans, I painted up during the last Challenge were a reasonable match in size.


And the rear of the year award goes to......


Flags, everyone likes a flag don't they?
These and the lance pennants are from Battleflag, they're printed on good quality paper, just wish the red was more.....red, but they still look pretty cool, I think?


The wings were a bugger, I painted them before sticking them on the back of the man, mainly to give me room to paint the leopard skins, then stuck my little fat sausage fingers to 3 of the wings while trying to glue them in place.....sigh!!!!
So lots of swearing, repainting and gluing later, they were finished.


Now on to the Donnybrook part of the post.
"What's Donnybrook?" I hear you say.
Now in Donnybrook land, Elite units, of which the Hussars must be placed in, are very small units. Mounted only get 3 figures!!! Which I'm totally ignoring as I did with the Ottomans. I've doubled the unit size to 6, otherwise its not worth painting the buggers up, is it?
So here I have 3 units of 6 figures each.

18 x 25mm Cavalry@10pts each
Making a grand total of 180 pts

***

Winged Hussars! As you say Ray, this is a sort of "period-defining" wargaming unit. People see these figures and they immediately get the period and the setting. Every time I see these, I want to paint some myself - thankfully this urge is halted five seconds after trying to understand Ottomans - but still - every time! These look great Ray, well done. I'll throw in some bonus points for hassle with banners, and for tempting me to try another period! Great job. 

GregB

39 comments:

  1. These look great Ray. There is something satisfying about flags on lances isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful!!! The flags and banners have such a fluid motion and you can almost hear the horses racing across the field. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mate, these are unbelievably good. I am so jealous. Best unit of the challenge so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stupendous stuff Ray. So dynamic and full of colour and passion. Love em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’re a bolder man than I to attempt Winged Hussars. Great looking unit, and the Warflags flags look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, they did take a bit of time to paint, dots on dots on dots....

      Delete
  7. Winged Hussars are always impressive looking and yours are particularly well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cavalry, I like the color choices and too-big-unit-size!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the figures are gorgeous Ray, if It's a comfort: I have sausages for fingers too, we could start a supportgroup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one with sausage fingers. Mine are s9 short and fat that I rarely find gloves that fit

      Delete
    2. Fingerless gloves always fit, but then they're pretty pointless!

      Delete
  10. Awesome looking winged hussars! They look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sensational figures, you can't beat a table full of Winged Hussars scaring the pants off your opposition! Great paint job

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ray:

    I'm always in awe of your talent and your volume of output (the two don't always go together). This is a great unit, full of colour and aggression. As someone who has superglued things to my poor clumsy fingers many times, my hat's off to you, mate.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look fab Ray! Love my a nicely painted unit of winged Hussars… or three

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favourite iconic units that are always a pleasure to see anywhere - brilliant entry Ray, really well done

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes indeed Ray - great homage to THE archetype elite Cavalry of the day!

    ReplyDelete