Friday 23 December 2022

From PeterB. Masters of the Universe - 1980's (35 points)

 And we're off...

Blimey you have all been busy already. I'm still working here in rainy Britain so painting has been squeezed in between running those last minute Christmas errands. Luckily I'm working at home, so lunchtime can be a quick transfer from keyboard to painting tray. After starting my challenge last year with a giant Balrog I did have something else suitably intimidating to start the challenge with again. Alas as members of the Facebook group know I made a rookie mistake of not actually doing a paint audit before the challenge this year. I am severely lacking in a couple of key colours. Luckily the nice Amazon delivery man is coming Christmas eve to the rescue (fingers crossed.)

In the meantime, I shall start my journey in the 1980's and what can be more eighties than Masters of the Universe! Followers of my blog will know I have been painting up this collection as Archon have been releasing them (check out Archon Studios, they do some great plastics including some awesome dragons at reasonable prices) and these three are the last of my current bunch.

 


 

 

They are all painted with GW standard paints (I don't do new fangled contrasts much) and Coat D'arms. A lot of the shades are mixed on a wet pallete as the MOTU range have a very distinct colour scheme and I found if you don't get the shade right they can look really wrong. These characters are a part of our childhood and so really stick in the brain. I found painting them in bold colours without too much shading works too, these aren't natural looking characters. For this reason I also tried to avoid washes and instead just mixed some shades with water to make subtle shades, especially on the white where a small amount of basically grey paint water was applied.

The rules have a specific model facing rule so the bases all have little indicators to show which way the model is looking, hence the white, this is actually a lot trickier to paint than it looks, making sure it looks symmetrical.

I have tagged for Lady Sarah's Limousine just for later judging, but as far as navigation goes, I'm just going to traverse to Sci-fi anyway. All it remains for me to say is have a great challenge everyone and Happy Holidays.

Oh yes, I forgot points:

1980's studio 20 pts.

Three x 28mm models 15pts.

Total = 35 pts.


______________________________________

Oh, these are excellent, Peter. As you say Masters of the Universe fits perfectly into the 80s milieu, especially for those who were kids at the time. I like the bold, punchy colours, and you did a great job on the facing indicator as well. I hope your Amazon delivery arrives before Christmas so you can take advantage of the holiday break. 

Well done!

- Curt


11 comments:

  1. Cool, bit too old for masters of the universe though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Peter. Hope your Amazon elf arrives on time for Christmas with your paints

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly themed entry, I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those dynamic sculpts - fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hoi Peter, great renditions of these MotU characters, I myself will also be painting some figures for this franchise although from a different producer. My Archon kickstarter (fields of eternia) is still in production sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work on replicating the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work, Peter! I like the vibrant colors! I wasnt a fan of MotU ( my younger cousins were) but I do like those models!

    ReplyDelete