Friday 23 December 2022

From PaulSS: T'au Death Parrots - 80pts

It's great to be back for another challenge and here is my initial entry.

I'm starting Challenge XIII like I finished Challenge XI with a post of Warhammer 40K figures. This time a tribe of Kroot Auxiliaries for my T'au force.


Despite their vintage the Kroot Warriors are a great set of models that go together well and can be assembled in some very dynamic poses and at only twenty-four quid for sixteen figures it takes out some of the sting of the four Kroot hounds I added to the mix.


I primed them with black primer and gave a heavy dry-brush, or zenithal highlight as the cool kids call it, of Ivory then painted mainly with Citadel Contrast paints, the flesh colour being Militarium Green.


I kept to a fairly muted palette with just a few splashes of primary colours here and there.


To bring them together I decided to add some tribal face paint to most of the Kroot Warriors, with different areas of their faces painted red with white dots added. To keep up the primitive theme I did the weapon blades, armour etc. in VMC Bronze.


The Kroot hounds are cast in resin and need a lot of cleaning up, but they take paint easily enough.


Prior to the challenge starting I had made a start on four of the warriors and the four hounds so will only claim half points for these.
 

Twenty 28mm foot figures with a voluntary 20pt deduction for having splashed some paint on eight of them already gets my challenge started with 80pts

Squirrel Duel Tally: 1 (40K Kroot)

______________________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge Paul!

I somehow always think of you as a historical painter (even though you've had several entries of Star Wars and 40K in the Challenge), so I'm perpetually taken aback when I see your work on Sci-Fi subjects. My nonsensical bemusement aside, your talented brush has done these 'Death Parrots' proud. I especially like the tribal face paint and the muted colours of their kit. I look forward to seeing what else you have planned for your expanding T'au force.

- Curt 



14 comments:

  1. Very nice, I love the combination of the green and the bronze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kroot are a great set of minis, it's just a shame they aren't all in plastic yet. You've done a wonderful job with these, the face paint is a cool touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some splendid lizardy figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. for the greater Kroot, ;-p well done Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Scrivs, wouldn’t want to run into them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow, I want some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Grand work on them, Paul! I will forevermore refer to kroot as death parrots! I like the dark hues and dirty used look to their equipment. The warranty certainly sets them apart!

      Delete