Friday 23 December 2022

LeeH: Sir Rhys ap Thomas and Sir John Wells [48 Points]

Today's post is the first of many for a new period and my big project for this Challenge. I present the first companies of troops for the Wars of the Roses / Battle of Bosworth in 6mm. I have been thinking about this pretty much since the end of the last Challenge in March, and hopefully, the planning and considerable preparation will pay off over the next three months. There is a huge amount to do and in all honesty, I don’t think I will get everything finished by Challenge end. These first few units have taken a lot longer to complete than I thought. However, If I can get at least half the project finished, I will be happy (and hit my personal points target).



I’m planning on using the Test of Resolve rules for this period so each ‘company’ consists of two bases presented in-line for deep units like billmen, or abrest for wide units like archers. So here we have a unit of Retinue Billmen and a unit of Archers for each nobleman. I have compiled a detailed order of battle for the Lancastrians and Yorkists at Bosworth and when I have finished I will have 38 Noblemen represented on the table with over 125 individual bases of troops…each with their own flag! I decided early on that I was going to use fewer figures on each base to allow for better base dressing with turf and grass etc but to compensate I would have a flag on every base. I may come to regret this decision because that's a lot of extra work…but I think the end result will look awesome and I can’t wait to see it all completed and arrayed on the tabletop.




So today I present the troops of Sir Rhys ap Thomas and Sir John Wells who fought on the Lancastrian side at Bosworth. The former was a Welsh lord who committed his troops to Henry’s cause, but only after the latter had marched nearly all the way through Wales. Maybe he was sizing up the young Tudor and trying to make up his mind? 

That's enough of me waffling on, I need to get back to my paint desk. I have 117 more bases of troops and flags to be getting on with!!

(96x6mm Foot = 48 Points)

______________________________

Good Gravy! Another Challenger doing WotR! Lee, you and Kyle are killing me here. Really, these projects will be inspirational to follow.

Lee, these first few bases of your Lancastrians looks superb, and the flags, while a bit of a pain, really finish the units wonderfully. I think you're going to be very happy with your decision when the project comes to a conclusion. I like the basing arrangement I'm seeing here for 'Test of Resolve', so I may have to pick up a copy to add to my growing stack of Wars of the Roses rules.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment on this project, Lee!

- Curt

18 comments:

  1. It's good to see you return to 6mm in such style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice little units. The flags add a lot to the overall look, so the army will no doubt be spectacular when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This project is going to be awesome - looking forward to seeing more of it. Great painting at a small scale - glad you've got the eyes for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look good, and your plan sounds solid. Really looking forward to see the project progress to grandness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great Lee, you have the perfect amount on each base. Can't wait to see your project finished and maybe a battle report video?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The livery, the flags, the arrangement: fabulous. Usually I’m not a big fan of tufts and clutter on 6mm bases, but these look very good. I’m looking forward to the next update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. One of the benefits of fewer figures on the bases meant I could get in there and put more into the groundwork.

      Delete
  7. Great working on these Lancastrian thugs. Love the flags. Your basing is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 6mm seems to be all the rage in 2022 and 2023. Great wrok

    ReplyDelete
  9. For Edward, and yes 6mm figures have a quality all of their own

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great start to a superb project that we will follow with great interest

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the sea of flags will be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent work Big Lee, looking forward to seeing more, and hearing your thoughts on Test of Resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shouldn't be any regrets at this stage hopefully, they're looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look gorgeous, Lee! From the banner tips to bases, there is a lot of mini to appreciate in these wee fellas!

    ReplyDelete