Friday 23 December 2022

From DaveD: Tanks, Tanks , Tanks - ‘Nam - (& Under Construction) - 85 points

 Ok so I kicked this challenge off with a little bit of metal , now it’s time for the proper heavy metal. Of course we think of ‘Nam as being grunts and choppers , less so tanks , so how many did I go for in 28mm  not just 1 oh no …two isn’t enough is it … so  3 shall be the number !

First up to boost the USMC are a couple of the wonderful limited edition M48A3 from Ged at Gringo40s . They are a mix of  resin and metal (tracks ,cupola and gun and a massive bag of stowage) . Overall a fine cast with a bit of extra model making skill required for the storage rail and baskets etc which I decided to make from brass rod instead of the provided 3D print resin bits as I thought they would be more sturdy .

I also switched out the decals to a set made by Star decals to give me different vehicle  options - they are a 1/72nd set nominally - but they do they job nicely 



 
I found the Commander in the ‘Nam bits box - I think he was from the The Assault Group

MartinC of this parish has a acquired a bunch of supply trucks /gun trucks over the summer , it’s time to run a convoy through the VC positions I reckon 


Infantry just for scale 

Next addition is for my small and soon to be growing Anzac forces . A rather fine Centurion V with an ever useful dozer blade. This is a mostly resin kit from Full Metal Miniatures . Nicely cast . Again I picked up a set of decals from Star (in 1/72nd but they look just fine) 






The Commander came with the kit along with the stowage 

                                                                      
Lads are all just for scale , and were completed last challenge , and will be added to this year .




Well I reckon that’s me until the festivities slow down . 

3 x 28mm Vehicles , and two half figure commanders = 65 points to my tally and the Never ending Cold War too (pretty sure almost everything in the do pile is for that 😂😂)

Now this may qualify for Under Construction as well - that damn dozer is really good at that along with the additions to the Anzac force coming along after this - so 20 pts for that too.

** edit - map updated  **




Cheers 
D

_______________________________

Wow! You've been very industrious over the past few days, Dave! These tanks look fabulous. The colour and weathering look like they've rolled out of a newsreel. The brass rod additions are excellently done and the dozer bladed Centurion is just brilliant. I need one of those for both neighbourhood snow removal and perhaps the 'removal' of speeding vehicles going by our park. :)

Grand work Mr. D!

- Curt


32 comments:

  1. Cracking work on those tanks Dave. I'm planning to do 'Nam at some point in the future, but as you say, I had considered it to mainly be grunts and choppas. Now I'm going to have to pick up some tanks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super looking heavy metal - and two posts already? Looks like you'll be a contender this Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping for a more productive season for sure . I have a lot prepared as well. I have a few commitments after New Year - so we will see how it all goes

      Delete
  3. Awesome. If you don't have a troop of M48s, and the odd Centurion, you just aren't doing the 'Nam correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I love that centurion! It's just about perfect, the stowagem weathering It's all spot on, great stuff Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great looking kits. I had never thought about tanka in Nam till now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I didn’t think of tanks in Vietnam either. These are excellent, love the painting and the weathering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DAVE, they are amazing sir! Very inspiring work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game on Tom - now where is that King Tiger my boy

      Delete
  8. Great looking tanks. I’d say a convoy action is required. Great to see the dozer blade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work! I have a couple of Pattons and Sheridans, the Centurion is now in my list

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's superb Dave- your stuff is going to be a real temptation to those of us who've always wanted to do Vietnam but managed to supress the urge - Just brilliant, love the palm trees as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , just jump right in . The Gringos stuff is brilliant , and there is a lot more due to be released

      Delete
  11. Superb looking vehicles there, and great "sets" for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it was nice to get some good staged pics

      Delete
  12. Very nice! Love the weathering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely tanks young david.... you power gamer you....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very fine work on the armored beast, Dave! They look the part of well used workhorses!

    ReplyDelete