Friday 23 December 2022

From SimonM: Namaste Haiku by "C27 Studio" (7 points)

Thought I’d best get something in straight(ish) from the start, so I thought something large and reasonably straightforward would be a good place to begin…

This 40mm scale miniature of Namaste Haiku was created using "Elegoo" Water Washable Resin on a Mars 3 Pro 3D Printer and is available as an STL (Standard Triangle Language) file by "C27 Studio". The 60mm tall sculpt is clearly inspired by Stan Lee's comic book co-creation - The Abomination, and designed to be used as an 'alternative' figure for the Marvel Crisis Protocol rule-set.

Along with a 75mm scale version, the model also comes with its own 50mm circular base. However, as I dislike trying to print off anything of that size which is supposedly (super) flat, I decided to just print out the rubble upon which Emil Blonsky’s alter-ego stands and then superglue it upon an 'official' spare plastic stand by "Atomic Mass Games". I then used some green-stuff to blend the join in, and primed the entire ensemble with "Citadel" Abaddon Black.


‘Deliberately exposing himself to a greater quantity of the same gamma radiation that transformed Bruce Banner into the Hulk’, I decided to use the former KGB agent as an opportunity to test out some of "Duncan Rhodes Two Thin Coats" I've recently been sent by "Trans Atlantis Games" to trial. As a result, I applied a double-helping of Emerald Green over Haiku to use as a prime, shaded the miniature with Battle Mud Wash, and dry-brushed him with (more) Emerald Green. I later used a similar process for the rubble, swapping out "Duncan Rhodes Two Thin Coats" colours for "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil to as to match the basing palette I’ve previously used on my ‘official’ Marvel Crisis Protocol figures. 

I initially picked out the hideous lizard-like creature’s eyes, torn trousers, teeth, finger nails and toe nails with Doom Death Black by “Two Thin Coats”, and subsequently applied either White Star, Skulker Yellow or Marine Blue to the appropriate areas. With the exception of the monster’s clothing – which was given a liberal shade of “Citadel” Drakenhof Nightshade – all these parts were then washed with (more) Battle Mud Wash by “Two Thin Coats” so as to dirty them up. Finally, I went back in with some additional Emerald Green and Skulker Yellow to help tidy things up, as well as bring a little focus to the super-villain’s deep-set pupils.

One x 40mm scale foot figure = 7 Points

Total = 7 Points

_______________________________________

I always enjoy your posts Simon, as I get a doctoral class in superhero lore. :) 

This big green fella looks suitably imposing, especially with his nasty sharp white teeth and creepy baleful glowing eyes.  A great print and an even better paintjob - well done!

Welcome back to the Challenge, Simon!

- Curt


28 comments:

  1. Nice work, Simon! :)

    I was surprised that you didn't hold this back for the "Blue Zone", but I suspect that you have many more supers to paint up that can be used there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I support C27 Studios on Patreon, so have a few prints of theirs for the Blue Zone if needed. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great looking Abomination.
    How were the new paints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers StuartL. Duncan's paints are first class - I've been using them for a week or so now, and will definitely be my go-to range once I can get hold of them regularly.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on a fab sculpt - interesting to see how much 3D printed stuff is showing up this Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PeteF. 3D printing has definitely changed my view on the hobby. I'm suddenly very uninterested in figures unless I can get them as STLs. Some companies seem to have latched onto this by offering both. But unless they belong to a range I'm already painting/playing I doubt I'll buy into something new which is metal/resin/plastic only.

      Delete
  4. Great work on this cool looking fig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome along Simon - that’s cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, although he looks a bit mean, I thought he was all about being zen these days? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. This is the classic Abomination, although the new version depicted in Immortal Hulk was far from "zen". He was as evil and hungry as hell, LOL!!!

      Delete
  7. Interesting figure and a good job! How’d you like the TTC paints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Emjenic. Duncan's paints are excellent, imho. I'll definitely be swapping out my Vallejo and Citadel for them once I get someone local to stock them.

      Delete
  8. Great to see something different and you have done a super job with the green.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Cheers Peter. Think the highlight worked well. :-)

      Delete
  10. Wouldn't fancy meeting that in a dark alley, nicely done

    ReplyDelete