Sunday 5 February 2023

From PhilH: Retro Space Combat (65 Points)

Staying on theme, we're back in a Galaxy Far Far Away for my stop in the Retro studio. Of course Star Wars itself is firmly Retro, and 1980s media, but as a child of the 90s, one of my fond memories and touch points for the franchise was the wonderful X-Wing (1993 on floppy disk!)  and TIE Fighter (1994 CD-ROM) computer games. My brother and I played these endlessly, dogfighting through outer space and taking down Star Destroyers in an X-Wing like true heroes of the Rebellion. 

In homage, here's a 3D printed TIE fighter from Thingiverse



I painted some detailing into the cab to represent the instrument panel and intimidating red glow / emergency lighting. 


It's Legion scale, about 1:43, so quite a sizeable piece. Duros for scale. Yes, it doesn’t fit in my light box, so here it is on the shelf. 


I spent ages trying to wrangle this onto a magnetised flying stand, but the 3D print turned out too heavy. I gave up on that, and instead ran off a landing platform (also Thingiverse) as a piece of terrain for it to sit on. It was designed for a different TIE model, so it only narrowly fits and I had to resize the cradle, and it doesn't sit perfectly. Serves the purpose though, I guess I’m building an Imperial forward operating base board now.



I painted the platform entirely by airbrush, I wasn’t getting the best consistency through it, but it was a pretty quick job.  


As far as points go, the TIE as a 40mm vehicle is 25 points.

The Landing pad is eight inches on its longest side, but less than six tall, so roughly fills a terrain cube, for 20 points

20 points for the Retro studio 

Totalling 65 points, a fourth studio and third squirrel (if terrain is its own category?)



Fantastic, love the Tie fighter, now I've got the distinctive doppler effect running through my head


31 comments:

  1. An Imperial base full of tie fighters sounds like a great terrain project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masterful board builder Al S has already beat me to it (and a Rebel base too. I’m thinking a forward operating base somewhere on the far flung edges of the empire

      Delete
  2. Amazing what can be done with printing. Great work recovering the overbalance with more terrain. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consumer level 3D printing is a new kind of hobby black magic.

      Delete
  3. Lovely TIE and platform, Phil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I just need to ‘DaveD’ it by doing four now

      Delete
  5. Wow, that TIE and platform are stupendous! The interior lighting is wonderfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will look great on the wargames table!

    I recently purchased a 1/48 version of the TIE fighter. Will have to get a cradle, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, well using just the TIE as on board terrain didn’t work for me.

      Delete
  8. The TIE and cradle look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those games were fantastic. My Father still to this day runs a DOS based machine specifically so he can still play them. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh wow respect. They’ve never come close to those games, or is it the nostalgia speaking?

      Delete
  10. That's a lovely crisp print and really well painted. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there’s a print error along one of the wings, but it’s firmly good enough

      Delete
  11. Ohhh that is sweet, now I want one too

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can almost hear that! What a cool model!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Love the Tie and the platform....now you have something for the rebels to take out!

      Delete
  14. The Tie fighter is great, and I would definitely call that platform a success! Cool effect on the tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I’m not wholly happy, the grey needs to be lighter

      Delete