Saturday 18 March 2023

From JamesM: Necromunda Goliath gang and industrial vehicle (77 points)

Hi folks,

My final entry for this years challenge, and the fourth gang I've painted for Necromunda. This time, the mighty Goliaths - vat born abhumans with more brawn than brains. 

This gang, the 'Skull Boltz', was initially themed around bolt weapons. However these weapons are bloody expensive and so make for a small starting gang. As such, I went with cheaper options of weapons and focused on axes... with a plan to equip with bolt weapons as we play through a long campaign. The gangers are plastic GW offerings, with some plastic and resin upgrade bits and a couple of beastman axes. 

Paint scheme wise, I was really impressed with the Vallejo Xpress orange colour - so matched that in with some greys and the likes for a nice bright and industrial looking gang. 

I also painted up a proxy model for a 'Zerker' - described in the game material as 'a fighter whose body has become warped and swollen to gigantic proportions by the effects of the combat stimms pumping through their veins'. This model was purchased via Etsy from CrisisActorMinis (who incidentally also sell blanchet esq models which might be suitable for root veg enthusiasts). It's worth noting that I sought a proxy for this model as the Forgeworld kit is hideous as well as expensive. 




The gang contains few heavy weapons currently, with only a Rivet Cannon and Storm Welder providing short range but heavy firepower. 

I actually had to add another model to those I had prepped, as while still primed plastic this gang had fought a couple of games and added another member. 



In total, this gang has ten 28mm models, and one 40mm model (for a total of 57 points). 

Alongside this gang, I quickly painted up the partner vehicle of one I'd already entered. This is another GW kit I picked up a while ago on the cover of a magazine, and will primarily be used as scatter terrain. I've painted it to match in with my scenery - the rusted and decrepit remains of industry in the deep underhive. 



This single GW 28mm vehicle is worth 20 points, giving me an entry total of 77 points. 

______________________________

What a great looking gang and gothic machine-thingy, James. The orange of your Goliaths' armour adds vibrancy to what could be a pretty dour looking mob. I also like how you've designed them to 'grow' into their more heavy-hitting bolt gun aspirations. The 'Zerker' is truly a beast, and I'm definitely going to be checking out the designer so see what else he has to offer.  

An excellent final entry James. I look forward to seeing you next time we roll out.

- Curt

6 comments:

  1. Nice gang and "grab" vehicle, James! You've done well getting so many Necromunda gangs painted alongside everything else - well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good looking orange and I really like the terrain/vehicle. I have painted one myself, but is more boring than yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff. Really like the tracked claw thingy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great Necromunda gang and a very weird but well painted vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on these gangers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent looking Necromunda gang, tracked claw whatsit is ace too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete