Saturday 18 March 2023

From TomC: A Fistful of Morphine [Western] (25 points)

The Day of Reckoning approaches, the end is nigh, but fear not, for salvation is at hand and this will be my last post. For my swan song, at the Western studio, there was but one choice available to me (without gratuitous use of the shoehorn).

 This is Doc Amos from Great Escape Games's Dead Man's Hand range, which they kindly gave me at the first Salute I went to (2015?) when I purchased some Dullcote from their stand (there's nothing special about me, I'm sure it was a promotion). Needless to say, eight years later, Amos was still unpainted and the gangs of the Wild West were still without due medical care and attention from a licensed professional...



 When I was initially thinking of colour schemes, the miniature reminded me of Javier Bardem's character from No Country For Old Men, but on double checking, the relentless hitman just wears all black. This wasn't quite what I was in the mood for, but Javier Bardem's character in Skyfall however has a bit more going on (although I passed on the heinous patterned shirt). Raoul Silva doesn't carry a doctor's bag, but a quick google for inspiration turned up a pony-skin bag and, once I spotted this, that was the picture complete, it just screamed Wild West (to me at least, historical accuracy be damned!).  

 The sculpt wasn't completely clean, so having checked their website, I don't think what I took to be a monocle was actually meant to have been there...





I've never played Dead Man's Hand, I assume you whack him behind your favourite bush-plate armoured maniac and make friends?



 Scoring should be super simple, one 28mm miniature for 5 points and 20 points for the Western studio, at which point I'm sincerely hoping that my maths has served me well enough that that (25 points) is enough to see my over my Challenge total?

 If so, then I would just like to say thank you to Curt for arranging the challenge, Sidney for the wonderful studio destinations and the various people who have had kind things to say about my posts (so far!), thank you all so much!

______________________________________________________


Lovely brushwork on this doc, Tom. I like the juxtaposition of his light grey coat against the green of his waistcoat and trousers.  You know, a monocle would kinda work for this guy... Anyway, yes, this entry will put you past your points target for the Challenge, so well done on both doing it in style AND in the nick of time. :)

- Curt




14 comments:

  1. Good looking doc. The research paid off, Tom! Glad you joined us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. I agree with Curt on your colour choices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, credit mostly goes to Skyfall's costume director, Jany Temime, who did Raoul Silva's outfit!

      Delete
  3. A fine parting shot, Tom, I agree about the colour palette and the painting is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a morphine pun in there somewhere!
      Cheers Martijn :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely range of colours and finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete