Saturday 18 March 2023

From GeoffreyT: Last Hurrah (185 points)

Hello Challengers,

Having completed each of the studio challenges, it is now time to mop up and try and hit the backlog of forgotten projects.

This first model is a classic Citadel miniatures Eldar dreadnought from the late 80's.  I don't have any other Eldar and no real interest in 40K, but liked the model so grabbed it when I saw it second hand.  Since a dreadnaught is a brain stem in a shell, I reckon 28mm mounted would be the correct classification for points.



Next up I have a dystopian wars fleet. I liked this game, but was a flash in the pan (twice). It left me with an unpainted fleet I picked up. Now it is painted and awaiting a revival for the game.


These guys are The Ottoman Naval Battle group by Spartan games.  Excuse the background.




This bad boy is a foam ball with tissue paper glued to it. It represents in game a "The Great Maw" from Forbidden Psalm.  It is big, about 100mm, (so about size of 28mm vehicle). I'm not entirely convinced by it myself, it is a bit too round.  Nevertheless as it will likely only hit the game table once it is fit for purpose.




I have an aircraft carrier for Starmada.  I painted it in colours to match my NSL Full Thrust ships. Cant remember the brand.



Last of all is a few chaps I collected for Forbidden Psalm monsters.  Two boars by Wizkids represent Morka-Porka and a demon thing from Slave2Gaming as 'The Nagl".

This I feel are the worst photo effort in the challenge to date.  By anyone.  But they are last minute and on the scoreboard.


For scale, the boars are on 25mm bases, so the Nagl is a big guy.


So what we have here is a pile of disparate miniatures, some of which are uncertain points value.

Eldar dreadnaught (28mm mounted) = 10 points

Ottoman Fleet Total = 112 points

    1 x Battleship = 15 points

    4 x Cruisers at 10 each = 40

    6 x Frigates at 5 each = 30

    3 x Bombers at 3 each = 9 points

    8 Mines at 1 each = 8 points

    10 Bases of small flyers at 1 each = 10 points

The Great Maw (28mm vehicle, it can swallow people whole) = 20 points

Starmada total = 20.5 points

    1 carrier = 10 points

    21 small fliers at 0.5 each = 10.5 points

2 x Morka-porka (28mm foot) = 10 points

1 x Nagl (54mm foot) = 10 points

Estimated total = 182.5 points

I really don't know what the ships should be, I kind of estimated them on basis of size and effort needed.  Has this post reached the official threshold to be classified "a points bomb"?  I don't think so, but is probably as close as I will get.

For those who have commented on my posts so far, thank you for your kindness.  I read and appreciate them all, although I usually don't reply.  Special thanks to Teemu for being an excellent minion, for Sidney for the outstanding challenge studio tasks, for Curt for running such a terrific event and for their partners for tolerating such dedication to hobbying.

However, the hobbying never ends, next after the challenge is beta testing of upcoming game "Torch and Shield", written by some friends of mine who have an upcoming kickstarter, check it out.

https://www.grimskald.com/

Kind Regards

Geoff.

From TeemuL: You are not making it too easy for Minions, Geoffrey! All kinds of self sculpted minis on strange scales and now this - all kind of space ships in strage scales. Dystopian Wars have been published in the past and given the average size of the ships, I think you are roughly in the ball park. I'll round it up to 185 in total for all the sculpting and overall amazeness during the Challenge. It has been a pleasure to minion you, I never knew what was coming, but luckily I was most likely the first one to see them while minioning and scheduling them. Have a nice off-Challenge time with Torch and Shield (and painting)!

9 comments:

  1. Lovely work here. I love the sky ships. I an sure there is an Osprey book they would be useful for..... (I feel another project building in my brain.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great variety pack! Love the orb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent stuff, Geoffrey! It's been great seeing you paint up stuff that you've sculpted yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work, Geoff. I shed a tear on seeing your fine Dystopian Wars models. I was heavily involved in the first edition and feel bruised as it was kicked to the curb. *sigh* I loved watching all your creative entries roll off the line this winter. I hope you join us again next winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a good game. I'll never quite understand why some good games die off and some bad ones live on.

      Delete
  5. Some great entries Geoffrey, I do like the Great Maw figure, he looks terrifying!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, Geoff, makes me want to start on my Dystopian Wars starter box. And your creative sculpts have been one of the highlights of this Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Dystopian wars ships look great, as does the rest of your eclectic entry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete