Thursday 31 December 2020

From SidneyR: Troubadours from "The Pit of the Pendulum" (30 points)

 


"One, two...ah, one-two-three... No, no.  We go on 'four', not three.  Always four, never three.  It's been that way since Valencia in '84.  Let's go again.   ...  Ah, one, two... one-two-three... NO, WE GO ON FOUR, never 'three'... Let's take it from the top...again..."

Fernando Cantante, Frustrated "musician", 1688

***

When Curt suggested a Chamber for Challenge XI based on torture, my mind stumbled towards the everyday horror of playing the violin as a young boy, and the terrors that created in my family.  Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles, lingering in the family home for hours would suddenly leave, making their excuses quickly.  The world has few horrors to match a young, enthusiastic, yet hopeless, musician armed with a cheap violin.  And so this Challenge submission was born.

Ladies and Gentlemen, esteemed Challengers, if you ever visit an army camp in late seventeenth century Flanders, and these two travelling musicians appear, prepare to flee - quickly.  Regiments which are steadfast under the heaviest fire dissolve in chaos before the musical repertoire of Señors Fernando and Antonio Cantante. 




From Cadiz to Milan, from Antwerp to Naples, the brothers Cantante have plied their musical 'gifts' for many diverse audiences.  The takings in their battered hat, proffered enthusiastically, are rarely high enough to bring an early end to the evening's 'entertainment', at least until the brothers start singing.  At which time, enough florins and guilders usually trickle into the hat to persuade them to move on. 

War may be terrible, but if you are faced with an enthusiastic but hopeless pair of musicians, even the hottest of cannon fire is perhaps preferable.


I've had these two figures hanging around the painting table for years.  They started life as a Games Workshop C46 Villager (with the viol) and another figure from, I think, a medieval tavern set. I swapped one of the heads for a Redoubt seventeenth century head, and added a lot of green stuff to turn the medieval outfits into something perhaps 'more 1688'.  The drum is from Redoubt, and the collection of discarded uniforms (clearly from a soldier hurrying away from the terrifying noise) is from Dixon Miniatures.

I've added another of the Laarden 'Character Cards' for the tuneless Troubadours - keep collecting folks, many more to come this Challenge!


As regards points, Fernando and Antonio are in 28mm, so 5 points for each brother and 20 for completing 'The Pit of the Pendulum', in truly terrifying fashion.



*****

27 comments:

  1. Brilliant work Sidney.
    I know I've listened to too many of your podcasts when I read that in your voice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scrivs! I promise I don't talk to myself, painting, in that voice. Honest... ;)

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! My mother put me into classical guitar to avoid squeaky violin practice, but our daughter plays the oboe. It sounded like a dying goose at first but she got quite good by the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this Sidney. Trapped listening to two poor musicians, an exquisite torture. Thankfully my musical aptitude is restricted to turning on the hi-fi. ;)

      Delete
    2. Exquisite tortures indeed. Congrats on your daughter persevering with the oboe. Despite that wonderful result, I am still convinced I saved the world from untold horrors when I gave up playing musical instruments!

      Delete
  3. I'd gladly listen to the terrible music if I get to see more excellent miniatures like these, expertly painted as they are. Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee. You'd change your mind if you heard me play, mate ;)

      Delete
  4. Lovely pair of musicians! I managed to get my grade 1 piano and was then allowed to give up! It didn't help my dad was a musician with no patience, so I have some sympathy for your duo!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought Grade 1 was the equivalent to an honourable skirmish, sensibly followed by a total retreat... I share your good sense, Iain !!

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic idea. The posing and painting is great as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, I was stuck learning the euphonium, despite having no musical ability

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My belated sympathies, Martin... The euphonium isn't really an easy instrument to take to the beach party, is it? Tough breaks, Sir !!

      Delete
  7. Cracking work Sidney! And a great choice of subject with the background story ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuli !! You can remove the ear plugs now ;)

      Delete
  8. Now this one really made me laugh! Seems you were just as musically gifted as me.
    Luckily your painting skills are beyond doubt! Love your little vignettes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick!! I'm not sure about painting skills.... but whatever they are, they exceed my (totally absent) musical ones!

      Delete
  9. Ah brilliant use of theme. Love kt

    ReplyDelete
  10. More quality again Sidney, who would have thought Simon and Garfunkel started that long ago.
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lord, perhaps "Scarborough Fair" is in the repertoire of the Brothers Cantante!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher!! You can remove the ear-plugs now!

      Delete
  12. Monstrous! I loathed music at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! My heart goes out to school music teachers!! "Long-suffering" would not come close!

      Delete
  13. Ha! Playing the ukulele I know and share the brothers' feeling! A wonderful pair of musicians and once again a great little background story. Splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I did hear the Brothers were looking for another member of the 'troupe', so .... ;)

      Delete