Thursday 31 December 2020

From SimonG: HYW Longbow Men - Completing My Archers Ranks (40 points)

 For my tenth and final stand of English Longbow men in my Impetus 600 point army I fielded my one and only set from 1st Corps . 


Compared with the Perry and Front Rank I mostly use these are definitely on the skinny/Elven side with rather large heads. The multi part construction is also quite a pain to assemble and they seem to be made of a very hard metal that is awkward to drill. One of the assemblies even defeated my ability to correctly string the bow -- first time I've had this happen. He's the chap on the front right, that string should be taught and behind the arrow, but no way I could find to drill that out and trying to glue in separate lengths of thread would have made a mess so I'm stuck with this loose string :-(





Nevertheless they painted up well and I like the range of facial characters.






Here you have the full ranks including the stakes -- looks quite impressive I think, certainly you'd think twice about charging at them!



So for eight 28mm figures that should be good for another 40 points towards my tota;l


22 comments:

  1. Splendid work Simon, I admire your commitment to stringing those bows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too hard once you get the hang of it, and make sure to use the right thread (i.e. not one that is flammable with superglue!)

      Delete
  2. Your yeomen look stout of heart if not stout of frame. You on the other hand are certifiable over stringing longbows in this scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, easy work, if a bit annoying when you need to drill hands

      Delete
  3. Terrific work Simon and congratulations on getting your archers done (and stringing those wee bows!). Do you have more to do for this force? It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the billmen done plus some light cavalry -- all that remains are the men at arms and leaders which I will post as they get finished.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful looking unit. Have to agree with the others...stringing longbows shows commitment to ones art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's not too hard to do, give it a try if you have the chance

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking archers, both the front rank ones and the whole unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - I must admit I'm pleased with how it all came out, 8 to a stand is light by Impetus standards but all together they have that nice massed look

      Delete
  6. Great work on these bowmen, Simon!! Hat's off to you for stringing bows in this scale! And an impressive looking line of archers, as well... bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sidney -- I also make arrows as well, getting the fletching on is the only tricky bit once you've bought the right size pins ... that and remembering which side of the hand to stick them on (there are some done Kyudo style in my army!)

      Delete
  7. Stringing bows is really next level stuff. Splendid work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it makes a nice difference and is quote quick to do

      Delete
  8. Nice looking archers. The force looks marvelous when it's all ranked up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart -- I worry that in many cases such a force is quote undefeatable in HYW scenarios, I'll just need to mix things up a bit

      Delete
  9. Great stuff and they look great all together, looks like some proper gaming going on, nice job stringing the bows too.
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken and yea I am getting dangerously close to actually being able to have a battle! Only 12 months in 🤣

      Delete
  10. Well done! Never had the patience to add bowstrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's surprisingly quick and easy once you get in the flow, the hardest part of forming the first loop!

      Delete
  11. Impressive army, quite a stirring sight. Apart from the bowstrings, the eyes on your models are also amazing, spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe I just provide close ups of the good ones 😃 actually I find eyes great fun to do and really make the model come alive. A tiny fan of gloss also adds that final touch

      Delete