Monday 21 January 2019

From JohnM: A Panoply of Terrain (150 points)

This has been a very slow start for me and I am fearful that it will be difficult to hit my 500 point goal for this year's Challenge. I do have some figures in the queue but have not been drawn to them yet. What I always need is terrain, so my second submission has focussed on clearing off the terrain pile. This is for my WWII and ACW gaming.

Linear Obstacles

Stone Walls
75"x1" of 1/72 scale Italeri
Snake Rail Fence
60"x1/2" of 1/100 scale Battle Terrain Concepts
Every little stick was individually glued!
Sandbags 
24"x1/2" of 1/100 scale Novus Design Studio

Roads/Bridges


Dirt Roads
110"x2.5"  Novus Design Studio
Three layers of paint were on each of the 3 elements
Stone Bridge
12"x2.5"x3.5" 1/100 scale from Novus Design Studio
Using two different colours for the stones may look odd but I like the effect
Buildings etc.

Stone Fountain
4" diameter, 2" high 1/100 scale Novus Design
I may eventually use 2 part epoxy in the fountain but here I used polyurethane with green  ink
Stalingrad Nail Factory
12"8"x3" 1/100 scale Novus Design

Copper galvanised panels are wrong but wanted to try verdigris


Stalingrad Railroad Station
13"x10"x4" 1/100 scale Novus Design
Top roof is removable


So I am hoping that is it for my Stalingrad, just have to do up the mat
Well it is a relief to get all that off the terrain queue. I still have 47 tree bases, 2 more houses and another 5' of snake railing to do but this was a good start.

Some new found land from Terre Neuve! I almost gave myself an aneurysm trying to calculate the points, but I think I can settle on 150 points including a bonus for the lovely railway engine and truck. Generic terrain like your walls and roads are so useful, but I think every table needs a bit of scenery to anchor it to a time and place. My philosophy is that ideally, someone should be able to look at a table without any troops on it and be able to recognise when and where it is.

Barks

14 comments:

  1. Not only is this terrain very useful, it also looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful looking terrain John. The wrecked locomotive is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of useful terrain there John! Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with those scenery pieces, I specially like the fountain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking terrain John, kudos for hand laying your snake rails. For me the stonework on your bridge and fountain steals the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s some very nice looking terrain 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic looking terrain, love the Stalingrad station and factory!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some wonderful stuff there! The fountain is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff John! I love that fountain too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow John - this almost makes me want to paint terrain! Almost. :-)
    Tremendous effort to get all of this stuff done, particularly those Stalingnrad-theme pieces - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a huge assembly of terrain, John - amazing work (hope you have a good-sized shed)!

    ReplyDelete