Saturday 21 March 2020

The Final Post for Challenge X: Maltese Militia, 1565 (120 points)


Okay folks, bushes down - Time to relax. 

I'll close out the Challenge with our final entry, returning to my Great Siege of Malta project which I kicked off earlier in the winter.


The 1565 siege of Malta is often seen as a contest purely between the Turkish Ottomans and the Knights of St. John. Nonetheless, the realities of the campaign were in fact much more complex, diverse and interesting. 

For example, the 40,000 man Ottoman host was not only composed of Turks, but also drew upon the many ethnicities from its sprawling empire. Greeks, Bulgarians, Algerians, Libyans, all along with a smattering of coastal corsairs and assorted religious fanatics were allied with the Turks laying siege to the island. This provides a veritable feast of character and colour for hobbyists to represent on the gaming table. 

Also surprising (well, to me anyway), of the 6,000 defenders, the Knights themselves only made up about 500. Another 2000 were composed of marooned Spanish sailors, along with varied companies of 'Gentlemen Adventurers' from Italy, Spain and Greece. The largest contingent of defenders (at least half of the total number) was made up of the humble Maltese themselves. 

A very small number of the Maltese would have been previously trained as militia, whereas the vast majority were simple island folk, rising in defense of their homeland. A few of them would have had the means to possess a studded shirt and a morion helmet, but a large proportion would have fought in their civilian garb, bare limbed, indifferently armed and reduced to mere rags by the end of the siege.

The histories indicate that the Maltese were often organized into large units with a Knight or soldier of fortune acting as their leader. Several accounts depict their local priests and women sharing the risks with them.


Gaming wise, one can find many suitable figures for the Knights and gentleman adventurers, but no one that I know of that has a range of figures which specifically depict the Maltese militia. Nonetheless, like the brave Maltese themselves, there are good proxies out there that can be pressed into service. The best figures that I've come across are the Portuguese Conquistador range from Eureka Miniatures. They are wonderfully sculpted and hit the highlights of what I think a Maltese fighter would look like: bare legged, lightly armed, scruffy and most importantly: scrappy.


Eureka Conquistadores
Common weapons amongst the Maltese would have been half pikes, short swords, long knives with maybe a smattering of firearms, bows and crossbows.


A couple other figures I pressed into service (a Foundry German barbarian on the left)
Undoubtedly the most powerful weapons in their arsenal would have been the incendiary devices which they created in an attempt to fend off the large masses of Ottoman infantry. 

One of these were the use of pimkins, basically earthenware jars filled with an incendiary concoction (some sources say Greek Fire) with a simple fabric fuse. A rudimentary grenadoe, these pimkins would be thrown into the Ottoman ranks in the hope that they would shatter and catch fire upon impact. 

Another weapon, quite ingenious in its brutally effective design, were reed hoops which were coated with an incendiary paste. The hoops would be lit and then, using long tongs, would be thrown or rolled towards the Ottoman formations. This weapon was  particularly nasty as it would entangle the legs and long robes of the Ottomans during their advance, causing havoc in the ranks.

I made a rendition of the burning hoops by coating a circle of florist wire with texture gel and teasing it to look, well, sorta flame-like. I made a set of them laying flat on the ground and another set with them rolling along like demonic hula-hoops, which while neat looking is probably a bit fanciful. 


Finally,  the Maltese also employed what was called a 'Trump' (I know, really...). Not much is definitively recorded on these, but it is understood that they were hollow tubes filled with incendiary fluid mounted on half pikes. 



When lit, they would gout flames out for 2-3 meters, like a crude short-burn flamethrower. Unreliable and incredibly dangerous to friend and foe alike (and so quite appropriately named). :) These would be used to block off weak points in the fortifications, or in point defence to help turn back Ottoman assaults. 


Flame effect made from a 3D print.
I also picked up a couple of wall sections from Vatican Enterprises to represent the walls of the various Maltese strongpoints. 



Though they are not a perfect match to the Hospitalier designs (which were more blunt and angular) I think they do a great job in conveying the sense of the fortifications of the island, and could be used for other historical periods as well (Constantinople, Vienna, Badajoz, etc.).



I especially like the damaged sections as I think they will provide great set-dressing for a a wide assortment of breaching/sally scenarios.


So there you have the beginnings of my Maltese militia, along with a bit of terrain for them to defend.


So with this final entry we conclude Challenge X! 


I want to thank all the participants for making this, our 10th edition, such a wonderful and memorable event. The Painting Challenge would be nothing without your participation, your sense of humour and most importantly your good will. I humbly doff my cap to you all.

Last but not least, I wish thank our intrepid, long-suffering minions (Greg, Paul, Dave, Martin, Tamsin, Byron, Miles and Peter), without whose diligence and hard work I could not hope to host such an event. Thank you my friends for your unhesitating help, helpful suggestions and unflagging support.



Edit by TamsinP - It appears that our intrepid Snowlord forgot to claim any points for this, so I'm stepping in to do a final piece of minioning. That should be 75 points for the fifteen foot figures, 5 points for the fiery bits and the flag and I'm estimating the wall pieces as being two terrain cubes for another 40 points, bringing his total for this entry to 120 points.


_____________________________________________

Okay, on to the administrative stuff.

Over the next couple of weeks I'd like everyone to submit a group shot of themselves and everything they got done over the past three months of the Challenge. I'll kick this off in the next day or so with a shot featuring my smiling mug with the stuff I managed to get done this winter.

The announcement on the various prizes will be in a little over two weeks time (Sunday, April 5th).

These will be:

- Challenger's Choice (chosen by you lot!)

- Judges Choice (chosen by me)

- Sarah's Choice (chosen by Lady Sarah)



For Challenger's choice we're going to do it similar to previous years. I'd like all the participants to send me their top three favourite entries from this Challenge. The deadline is next Sunday (the 29th). It doesn't have to be in any particular order as I will post a big gallery of all the nominations from which we can vote. It will be a nice way of reminding ourselves of all the excellent work that was produced during the Challenge.



Finally, due to the Covid-19 situation affecting the world, I will be creating another page to this blog for the upcoming ...



The Analogue Hobbies Quarantine Challenge



Basically it will be a stripped-down version of the Painting Challenge where people can continue to post their work and enjoy each other's company during the next few months. I'll get some more information to you all in a few days laying out how it will work. So stay tuned for that.



____________________________________________




There it is: The Tenth Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge has concluded.

Thanks again everyone, and remember the wise words of Bill and Ted:

'Be Excellent to Each Other'

Warm Regards,

Curt

74 comments:

  1. A wonderful final entry and fitting for a time when we all feel a little under siege. Thanks for another wonderful Challenge experience. Challenge X definitely wasn't Bogus. I think I'll now go and listen to my copy of Greatest Hits from Wild Stallions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Miles! And thank you again for your continued support as our Dread Mathemagician and StatSheet High Priest. :)

      Delete
  2. That’s a very impressive entry, with superb fortifications and figures. The hoops are an interesting contraption I’ve never come across. And “a hollow tube filled with incendiary fluid”- heh.

    Thanks again for running the Challenge. It is always over so quickly. The toughest part is picking my favourite entries...

    I will be very interested in this Quarantine challenge- hopefully the first and last!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic last post and great to hear we will carry on sharing stuff, I think will be a lifeline for me. Going to spend some time this weekend thinking about top 3 - luckily was planning ahead and kept some notes of posts I liked ..... Thanks Curt and all.
    Jez Todd UK Midlands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jez, I hope to have something soon on the quarantine challenge.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful final entry mate, a fittingly impressive end to an impressive Challenge.

    I already have my 'body of work' post ready to send - one of the advantages of finishing my painting a few days ago. Now I just need to find some space to put everything I painted!

    I love the idea of the Quarantine Challenge, count me in when the time comes.

    Stay safe everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, I'll get your Final Haul post up soon. :) Terrific work mate.

      Delete
  5. Curt, marvellous entry. Odd to think that the siege was lifted by a microorganism and a cautionary tale about the need for social distancing.
    Thanks for a great challenge, wish I'd commented more but been one of those winters.see you in quarantine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Martin and thank you for doing such a wonderful job shepherding our Thursday entries. I learned a lot about rocks over the winter! BANANA!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post, Curt - and terrific work on both beseigers and the beseiged! I love the incendiary reed hoops - lethally effective, but also easy to create. Quite brilliant!

    And a HUGE thank you to you, Sarah and the Minions, and indeed all the Challengers for making Challenge X just a fantastic and fun experience!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sidney! And a HUGE thanks again for creating Challenge Island in such short order for me. I love the location art you came up.

      Delete
  7. A splendid 'Last Post' Curt. Thank you to yourself, Lady Sarah and the Minions for all the hard work that goes into making the Challenge such a highlight of the wargaming and modelling year. And congrats to all the participants whose work never ceases to inspire, amaze and entertain - thank you everyone!. How on earth I'm going to get to a Top 3 though is beyond me! Take care one and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I'm delighted you enjoyed the Challenge. Until next year!

      Delete
  8. What a fantastic post to finish up on Curt. Great figures, back ground information and the fortifications are just superb.

    Thank again for another excellent distraction from the "real" world and I am looking forward to QC 2020 - agree with Barks hopefully the first and last.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  9. A brilliant final entry. Curt - educational as well as lovely to look at (ah! the beauty of Curt's fiery hoops!) Thanks again for an inspiring Challenge. I've loved the Island, and all it has compelled me to do, and I've seen some amazing and inspirational stuff from the other guys along the way. Thanks also to all the minions, especially those who've laboured so diligently and humourously in difficult circs, as well as the Lady Sarah who must surely have more than one eyebrow permanently raised at what goes on between Dec 20th and March 19th. First day of Quarantine for our family today, so greatly anticipating the new challenge. Are we going to have to keep a social distance between our figures to avoid highly infectious metal fatigue? Or maybe just painting fatigue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noel, it was my pleasure. I'm VERY happy to hear that people liked Challenge Island. I was a bit unsure how it would be received when I first dreamt it up.

      I'll try to get QC2020 up soon so people can keep in touch and help keep themselves entertained.

      Delete
  10. This is a period of warfare that I know little about. Your posts have really encouraged me read further.
    The Quarantine Challenge sounds ace, I may even get to finish my alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I'd love to see you continue with your Alphabet Challenge. :)

      Delete
  11. Excellent work for your final entry Curt. It's been great fun - thanks for putting it on again. :)

    ps - you forgot your points, so I've "minioned" the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers M'Dear. Thank you again for all your assistance and shepherding. To wit, thanks for scoring my post! I was so knackered I just hit 'publish' and fell into bed! :)

      Delete
  12. What a brilliant last entry Curt, great figures, great terrain and a great history lesson too. Thanks have gotta go to you and Ssrah for all the hard work getting all this in order and thanks to all the minions for their hard work too. A big dlap on the back for one and all.
    Count me in for the isolation Challenge too, although I'll still be at work. We've got 500+ casks of beer to get try and sell before they go bad and go down the drain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely Beer is deemed as an essential service in the UK - if not then you have descended into barbarism

      Delete
    2. Thanks very much Ray. I'm with Miles. Surely English beer producers would be on the same level as the ravens of the Tower in being never to abandon their duty. ;)

      Delete
  13. Fantastic final entry Curt, and from Madrid (today in the 7th day of mandatory lock-down) I really appreciate the extension these following weeks.

    For the record, our lives have been brutally disturbed at all levels over the past days. I have failed to show up here this last week because we needed to make some urgent logistical arrangements at home and also at work, as I run a company with 140 people and have moved operations to online remote; very successfully considering that no client of us have experienced any service disruption.

    Guys no need to panic and hoard loo rolls! Logistics, at least in the Western countries, really wrok well. After the first pabnic bouts people now realized that supermarkets work fine and re-stock plenty every single day.

    These pandemics is no joke and specially the UK and the US governments have benn criminally underplaying the risks and now you have a timebomb in those countries. I wish my government would have taken action sooner and avoid seein the terrible dead and infected tally everyday (1000+ and 25,000+ today)

    From my personal experience this week, three pieces of advice: 1/ Stay at home all time, avoid venturing outside and take maximum extra-care when going to resupply food or medicines (only justified reason to leave the house); 2/ try to build a routine at home and force your family to follow it , it's good that they feel some sort of daily "normality" and in command of their time; 3/ Get as social as possible with friends and gaimng pals over any online platform (from whatsapp to Skype etc).

    My club mates in Madrid have organised several VASSAL games this week, an online role-playing session and I'm as we speak now involved in Kriegsspiel game organized by TooFatLardies.

    Take care of yourselves and the families. #stayathome for heavens sake!! #YoMeQuedoenCasa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking stuff Curt! Thanks to all that help make this yearly challenge happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brett! I hope to see you for our next edition!

      Delete
  15. Lovely final post Curt, love the flaming stuff! Those walls are wonderful and very useful in many periods.

    Thanks for running this gong show and look forward to the virus challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, I hope we can get in a game using this stuff sooner or later. Thanks for helping us out this year, it was very much appreciated by all.

      Delete
  16. A fitting last post to this years hobby highlight! Really like the idea of your incendiary wheels. Will be eagerly looking forward to see what else you'll come up for this project.

    In my humble opinion this years challenge was the funniest and most enjoyable of all the painting challenges I'm proud to have been part of to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nick! It was wonderful having you participate - your brushwork is always so inspiring.

      Delete
  17. Awesome finale!

    "The 2020 Quarantine Challenge". Such a great idea! Im in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iannick! I loved your entries, especially the RPG characters for your friends. I'll look for you in the 2020QC!

      Delete
  18. Grand work, Curt! I like the hulahoops of death! The arid yellow stone work is all too familiar for my current AO and looks nicely snaked too.
    Brilliant work by all and quite enjoyable to view the posts in my email when time allows, perhaps I will find enough time to comment on a few too. Good luck on the quarantine and abridged challenge...hopefully you all have enough toilet paper and you don't have to eat any MREs! ;)(meal-ready to-eat...bland and chewy, good calorie count for soldiers)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dave, delighted you enjoyed both the entry and the Challenge. You take care and be safe.

      Delete
  19. And breathe!

    Great final entry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Thanks Dave! I was quite, erm, 'hooped' by 3am last night, let me tell you. AND a huge thanks again for taking on the Wednesday posts. Hump Day will not be the same without you. :)

      Delete
  20. Fantastic work Curt - I'm so glad you mentioned "Constantinople" as an option with the fortifications.

    Everything looks ace as always, great stuff. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, I was think of you specifically when I wrote it. :)

      Delete
  21. Superb last post of Challenge X in every way. I read Empires of the Seas last year and it encouraged me to look at wargaming this period - future project in the offing. Its description of the siege of Malta is epic. Be Excellent - Curt, in practicing what you preach you've built a wonderful community here and made Challenge X one to remember. May your brushes last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and well wishes, Pete. Crowley is a great author, isn't he? If you're interested, pick up Tim Wilcox's 'The Religion' - brilliant book. It's the one that got me started on this project.

      Delete
  22. Fantastic final post Curt and those walls in particular look just excellent!!

    Thanks again for the superb challenge and stay safe!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher, delighted you had a good time. Be well.

      Delete
  23. Very snazzy work. You did a wonder with many of the conversions and repurposing of figures, plus making them look right scruffy. The walls are also quite spectacular.

    Looking forward to the Quarantine Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Herr Robert! They were great fun to work on.

      Delete
    2. Great fun from minis is really all we can expect. I am still incredibly jealous of those perfect black backgrounds. They really make minis pop.

      Delete
    3. The trick is shooting them on black satin. I find it works the best to really give a deep, black setting. Then touch up the background using your favourite photo editing program.

      Delete
  24. Great work again Curt. Cheers for running the show again, it's much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Alex! I'm happy you had a good time.

      Delete
  25. Super final entry and interesting information. Thanks for running AHPC X. The posts from Challenge Island were most enjoyable to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fitting last entry to a great Season! Wonderful to see this project coming together Curt and I look forward to more.

    Thanks again for hosting another amazing Season of AHPC - glad I contribute as part of the support crew :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul and thanks again for taking on the Tuesday submissions. Without you, Greg, Dave, Martin, Tamsin, Byron, Miles and Peter I know I couldn't have pulled it off this year.

      Delete
    2. ...AND a big congratulations on your win with the Skully McSkullface duel. Your Snow Lord's Peak submission was epic! :)

      Delete
  27. Splendid final post! Thanks for putting on the challenge once more and an extension sounds very interesting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain and thanks again for being such a great booster for the event. I think you posted a comment on almost everyone's submission and you had some cracking posts yourself with your Dark Age project. Cheers!

      Delete
  28. Great stuff Curt. The siege of Malta is such a great story. Thanks again for hosting i look forward to it every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam! You were hitting them out of the park with your ship models. See you back soon!

      Delete
  29. Thanks for running the challenge, Curt. Thanks to all the minions too. I had a blast planning what to paint and how it would fit into my little narrative.
    Japan doesn't currently have any quarantines in place, (the government is determined that the Olympics will go ahead even if 99% of the population is dying in the streets by that time), so social distancing is more of a personal choice. My local gaming groups and stores are all closed down though. So with no gaming on the horizon and common sense telling me to stay at home, I'd love to join in the Quarantine Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart. I really enjoyed your narrative submissions recounting your adventures charting Challenge Island. Keep safe and we'll see you in the QC.

      Delete
  30. I’d like to add my thanks for running another wonderful challenge - you you and all the minions. Been a challenging time for me with the pandemic and losing a great friend and the challenge kept me going and gave me an outlet. A special thanks to the serial commenters, those people who comment on all or a large majority of the posts you really make the challenge what it is with your encouraging words, so bravo to you.

    I’ll certainly be in for the QC given the time we’ll be spending at home!

    And lovely figures as ever for this submission Curt, you always manage to make figures pop without ever making them garish, so excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Jamie. It's always a pleasure having you with us, providing your funny, enthusiastic and supportive comments. I'm also happy the Challenge provided you an outlet for you to relax and reflect.

      Delete
  31. This is perhaps as good a place as any to express the thanks of an innocent bystander who has found great pleasure and inspiration in following the Challengers' adventures on this wonderful island. So a great round of applause for Curt, the minions, and the particpants for once again providing an entertaining experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn! I'm delighted you enjoyed following the madness. I hope you join us the next time we roll out.

      Delete
  32. What a fantastic entry to end the challenge on 👍 Many thanks for organising this wonderful event once again.
    Looking forward to seeing the 2020 isolation challenge (although my job means I'm working regardless)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Is this cancelled?
    "During the event I will maintain a gallery of submissions for each map location and at the end of the Challenge we will vote for our favourite entries."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Teemu, sorry, yes, this aspect has been dropped as I did not have the time to maintain and track all the the locations in distinct galleries. Too many things going on this year...

      Delete
    2. Ok, no problem. Less things to administrate and votes to cast. :)

      Delete