Sunday 22 March 2020

Curt's Challenge X Group Shot

Me along with Felix and Oscar and my new toys from Challenge X. Oscar looks as if he just took a big bite from the walls of Malta (such a good boy).

It's been a silly, crazy-busy year, even without the stress of the Covid-19 outbreak. I work as a section head at our provincial archives and we're in the midst of condensing five large archival repositories into one facility, so lots of long hours and spinning plates organizing for that. So, with all this going on I was absolutely saved by having a terrific team of people to help put on our 10th edition of the Challenge. My thanks again to Byron, Dave, Greg, Martin, Miles, Paul, Peter and Tamsin who did sterling service as our Minion crew. You all were absolutely brilliant. Huzzah! Bravo!!

As to my personal 'haul'? Well, I made it quite close to last year's output, which surprised me as that was a banner year for me, so all-in-all I'm pretty happy with my productivity.


As usual, I was all over the place regarding subject matter, but oddly enough I was fairly fixed on 28mm as the scale-of-choice for this edition. This will change soon as I want to get back to my 2mm Napoleonics in preparation for a future set of games, but it was nice to make inroads on several ongoing projects, namely Spectre moderns, my female Mansion of Madness characters, Napoleonics(!) and my Sisters of Battle (Iain, thanks again for getting me back into this with your very kind gift of figures).


I was particularly happy to participate in James' very worthy 'Joshua Project' and to begin my foray into The Great Siege of Malta.




I found it to be another wonderful Challenge, all made possible by the fantastic people participating in it. The event provided both a great way to while away the winter months and to help ease the stress of current events.

I'll catch up with you all on April 5th for the presentation of our prizes (remember to email me with your top three choices!), but please stay tuned in if you wish to participate in the 'Quarantine Challenge'. I hope to have something posted on that within the next few days.

Warm Regards,

- Curt -

17 comments:

  1. An amazingly varied and colourful output for Challenge X, Curt; as always, I'm knocked out by the amount of detail in your vignettes!

    Lovely work, mate - see you again in November, if not sooner! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. A splendidly eclectic collection of figures and terrain, consistently high quality finish under exceptional circumstances!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work again Curt, and thanks for running this challenge once more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a variety of work but all wonderful quality. I like your Seige of Malta stuff, just beautiful work. Thank you for running the Challenge and thanks to the minions for all their hard work (I know how just hard it can be).

    ReplyDelete
  5. A smallish, but most excellent and varied collection of figures and terrain Curt. :)

    It's been a pleasure to step up as one of the regular minions again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say that the quality of this year's output has exceeded exopectations again Curt. The Mansion of Madness blog entries were among my favourites, but the most most recent Siege of Malta were jaw-dropping. The Challenge Island idea has been terrific indeed, I have enjoyed it so much...Thanks again for taking over this one more year and thanks extended of course to all minions this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent output of beautifully painted miniatures Curt! Really enjoyed the Malta project in particular and those cavalry were amazing! Thank you once again for this excellent challenge and my favorite so far in regards to format.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great collection of superb quality

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very respectable output, I envy how varied your projects are, just topping some up, while kicking new ones off. Thanks for herding us through, changing things up to keep us on our toes. The challenge has been a light in these difficult times (now roll on quarantine version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quality and variety, but at least you have the discipline to stay in one scale!

    ReplyDelete
  11. probably, if someone else did this event, someone who doesn’t know how to work with choosing miniatures, choosing colors and someone who doesn’t know how to hold a brush like that, then no one would participate in it. Thank you very much for keeping a high level and demonstrating great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work running this gong show and great output this year. I think that the Sultan should hire Oscar for his siege troops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While your Maltese project is fabulous, I do think I like your Balloon payment figures best. Each and everyone of them had character oozing out of them and both the story as well as your presentation is to die for. Great stuff Snowlord, see you in the Quarantine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cracking work Curt! That's a very nice and varied selection definitely!

    And thanks again for running the challenge! Always the highlight of the hobby year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks very much for all the kind words of support, folks. It's very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete