Friday 15 January 2021

From BenitoM: The Golem's Haunt - Oldschool Ent and Wizard (37 points)

Being mainly a historical wargamer, I possess arguably a less developed imagination to overcome the challenges posed by the different themes of the Chambers. My third step into these mysterious rooms took me to the Golem's Haunt and this one I couldn't really see how to do it with my historical minis.

Nonetheless, in my very early times in the hobby (80s) I extensively played some roleplaying games... 

....and digging in the very deep layers of my lead pile, I bumped into a trove of old, long forgotten (and I guess discontinued) blisters of Mithril miniatures featuring the main characters of the Lord of the Rings saga.

So for this specific room I have chosen an Ent (Treebeard?) and a wizard (Gandalf?) to recreate a sort of Mary-Shelleyan scene in which this wizard gives life to a tree and commands him to attack some unknown dark enemies closing in.. "WALK!"

 

As mentioned above, these are Mithril models from their Lord of The Ring range. I have discovered I still own some very nice pristine blisters, including some of the Fellowship main characters, the Ent above but also a beautifully sculpted Galadriel and the Mirror model or a Dwarf forge.

 

 

The Gandalf model is a true 25mm miniature while the Treabeard model is 50cm height. I have scored 5 points for the former and 10 points for the latter given the size of the model, hoping that our Snow Lord and the minions would agree on it. Plus the chamber bonus (20  points), with this post I add a total 35 points to my Challenge score.

 



12 comments:

  1. Wonderful old style figures and great to be reminded that there is more than one look to the LoTR! Excellently painted and based as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some lovely old school figures Benito and very nicely painted too.we historical gamers don’t lack imagination, we just apply it differently

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just fantastic Benito! I feel your pain about maybe lacking a bit of imagination as compared to our Fantasy and SciFi fellows, but you've done a real corker here! I'll throw in another two points for having had the courage to drag these wonderfully vintage figures from below the sheer cliffs of your lead mountain. Proper geology that I imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this!. I must admitt it's been refreshing to shift from Ancient Romans for a while

      Delete
  4. Love them, I particularly like the Ent

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking old school fantasy figures with a lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Benito! That Treebeard is wonderous. I've always loved those venerable Mithril Miniatures models. I'm very jealous of your find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on both minis, I like how you've based them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great models mate, Lord of the Rings is essentially a film about walking. Walk from the shire, Walk to Mordor, even the trees walk 🚶‍♂️
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work Benito and really like the shade of grey on Gandalf.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete