Friday 15 January 2021

From Martijn N: Small scale scatter (48 points)

 

With my pathetic attempt to brave the Pit of the Pendulum with historic figures (justifiably) thwarted and being mostly a small-scale historical gamer I have decided to first concentrate on my painting target. Once having made some progress, I will perhaps again take up the journey down and acquire some suitable figures to brave the dungeon!

For now, therefore, here are some 15mm Minifigs. They are more than 25 or 30 years old, and have been languishing in my lead pile for far too long. Earlier last year I have begun to rebase my old figures for Volley and Bayonet, so the time had come to throw some paint on these Russian dragoons. Being Minifigs, the detail is fairly soft and the uniform is not entirely correct (hence my clumsy attempts in 1991 or so to remove the peaks from the other ranks’ caps). However, from 3ft away I guess they look okay. I used contrast paints for these. Now I only have to dig up a Crimean Russian cavalry flag somewhere!

 


Then there is some real estate. I do not usually base my buildings, but sometimes that does look better and I felt that was the case with this 6mm Roman watchtower from  Leven Miniatures; its footprint is tiny. It is generic enough to be used in other periods and theatres. It is accompanied by an outbuilding, also from Leven, and a thatched barn, from Battlescale. Again contrast paints on these with a wash and drybrush where appropriate.

 


The final piece is a resin  medieval castle in 2mm scale from Brigade Models. A simple paintjob with contrast paint and a drybrush. The drawbridge has obviously been removed in preparation for a siege! I was experimenting with AK Water Gel Swamp Green for the moat. Struggled a bit to get an even surface and a colour to my liking but the end result is reasonable.

 


So there you have it. As for scoring, the 10 15mm figures should get me 40 points, that’s easy. The terrain pieces are of course very small, and together take up only a fraction of a 6” (15cm) cube.  The castle is on a 10 cm round base, and allowing a generous 1 cm height all over would yield just under 80 cubic cm. The tower is about 5 cubic cm, the outbuilding too, the barn about 10, or in all about 100. That is about 3% of a  3375 cubic cm cube, or 0,6 point. Let’s make it one point. Perhaps a better way to score the terrain items would be to treat them as 6mm vehicles? In which case the four items would net me 8 points. However, I will of course settle for anything the minions would consider appropriate.

So ten 15mm cavalry and four tiny terrain items: 48 points?

13 comments:

  1. A fine collection of tiny, tiny figures! I especially like the terrain items and have to confess 10mm looks like the perfect scale to put some believably dense terrain on the table without breaking the bank.
    In terms of points I've decided on scoring it as a fraction of a terrain cube for 1 point as intended by our Snowlord. That spread sheet thingy he forces us to feed with our calculations is a truly horrific machine and can get almost as grumpy as my cat when not handled correctly. Thus we don't want to upset the might of the spread sheet, want we?
    But to reward for the efforts you put into the very convincing looking moat I'll award an additional 7 points.
    So 48 points it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that is very generous! No, would definitely not be wanting to spread the sheet.

      Delete
  2. Nice work all around Martijn. I like the veteran Minifigs. The tiny terrain is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! I like the Minifigs too, but I have rather a large pile of them still to go. Sometime ;-).

      Delete
  3. The stuff from Brigade is fun, isn't it? I love that tiny castle-keep and moat. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt! Yes, it is. I have a Hougoumont lying round somewhere that you could actually call cute.

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine even attempting terrain at that scale, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stuart, it is less daunting than it seems. After all, if you can paint the eyes on a 28mm figure you can paint 2mm! And terrain is relatively large. Relatively. And cute.

      Delete
  5. Great looking Russian dragoons! Cute,teeny tiny terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old school Minifigs, whats not to like !
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, Martijn! I like the way that it's a lovely varied submission. Those Minifigs look excellent, and the terrain items are cracking. I particularly like the 2mm castle - super work!

    ReplyDelete