Friday 15 January 2021

Richard P - 20mm WW2 Italian Desert Artillery (97 Points)

One of my ongoing projects is WW2 in the desert. These were picked up for a bargain from a chap on Facebook and I believe are old Raventhorpe sculpts which paint up very nicely and I shall be getting a few more after painting these. As we play several rulesets including Rapid Fire, Battlegroup and Arc of Fire I have tried to base them up so they can easily be used for the different rules. For Battlegroup I need an artillery piece plus 3 crew for Rapid Fire I need an artillery piece plus 4 crew so I have based 3 crew on the gun base and added a separate figure for Rapid Fire. The spare figure will eventually be added to Battlegroup Loader Teams when I get the additional figures.













Think this works out as 16 x 20mm Figures = 64 Points + 4 x 20mm Artillery = 32 Points
Total = 96 Points.

Really enjoyed painting these Raventhorpe figures. Hopefully do some more soon. 






21 comments:

  1. Those look great! I love those sculpts even though they are large. I have a similar project going on. Well done, I like the colors and the basing. Would you mind sharing your color pallet for these figs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sgt G! Agreed they are a little bigger than some other ranges available but I try not to mix too much. I tried to vary the colours used on the figures but it hasn't shown up as much on the photos. Main colour Desert Yellow, Army Painter Soft Tone (make sure it doesn't pool anywhere), 1st H/L Desert Yellow, 2nd H/L Desert Yellow/Buff. By altering the amount of Buff you can lighten or darken the uniform colour. The Sahariana Jkt is Khaki, Army Painter Soft Tone, Khaki, Khaki/Stone Grey. Puttees are all Olive Grey base with German Field Grey H/L. All helmets are done with Desert Yellow base, Army Painter Soft Tone, Desert Yellow then 50/50 mix Desert Yellow/Buff. Hope that helps, if you need anymore info let me know.

      Delete
  2. That will give your Italians some pop. Love the sun helmets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work on those Italians. Haven't had Raventhorpe on my radar up until now, so it looks like I've to have a closer look at what Italian goodnesses they have on offer. I generally think the Italian army in WW2 doesn't get nearly the intention it'd deserve, so I'll throw in an additional bonus point for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I really enjoy working on the more unusual units and the North African Campaign and the Tunisian Campaign have plenty of those.

      Delete
  4. Great looking field guns. The dug in positions are a nice touch to the finished teams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, saw something similar in an original photo of the time.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant looking gun teams Richard! I especially like the arid groundwork you've given them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, tried to give it a more arid look as a lot of North Africa wasn't soft sand.

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking Italian artillery! Nice basing too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking figures Richard, we should of had a 20mm side challenge !

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice- I like the sangars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done, love a bit of WW2 Desert 👍
    Regards

    ReplyDelete