Thursday 19 January 2023

From GeoffreyT: Torch and Shield (22 points)

Hello Challengers,

Before now I have been unable to reveal these spectacular miniatures by Grimskald.  These have been under wraps; but can be revealed now as Grimskald are ready to launch their product on kickstarter.

These are multi-part 3D sculpts that I was given for play testing their inaugural game "Torch and Shield".   Unfortunately I got busy and didn't get to do any testing, but did review the rules.  It is a brutal dwarven dungeon quest, where the bespoke monsters are quite fearsome and if your torch goes out bad things happen in the dark.

You will see much better painted studio minis at Cancon this weekend, where Grimskald have a display.  My rough brushwork doesn't do justice to the quality of the sculpts.

I did however paint object source lighting (OSL), which is in keeping with the game theme.  This was tricky because I would like to do the shadow side in black, but then the characters without torches would have to be entirely black, or have OSL from an object point not on their own model.  Thinking how to do the latter made my brain collapse in a gibbering heap.  So I did the clothes, floor and armour darker than I normally would so they looked kinda in the dark.  Probably could have done them a few shades darker again I think.

Did I mention I did object source lighting ? 

Points: only 20 points I'm afraid.  

There are 10 miniatures here, but six I painted before the challenge for my play test warband, I painted the leftover four guys for the challenge.

So 4 x 28mm figures = 20 points.

GT

From TeemuL: Yeah, OSL from different base will melt any brain, I think... You say there are better looking dwarfs somewhere, but I haven't seen them, so these are the best! :) I like OSL, it is tricky, I have tried it with couple of times with varied results. Four minis, but your third post of the day should see you climb the roster quite nicely, especially after I gave you two extra points for the great OSL - I'd say it at least as time consuming than hand painting shields...

10 comments:

  1. Those are lovely and that lantern looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent brushwork. Love the lamplight effect on the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the object source lighting effect, brilliant brushwork

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! The lighting effrect is outstanding

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking dwarves, Geoff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid looking dwarves!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dwarves, love the light effects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they look absolutely wonderful, the osl is very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice OSL. Great minis.

    ReplyDelete