Thursday 19 January 2023

From LeeH - Sir Hugh Peshall and Sir William Stanley (52 points)

I have nearly completed my Tudor/Lancastrian army for Bosworth and these two units get me to within sight of the end…before I start all over again with the Yorkists! This week I have Sir Hugh Peshall’s troops and those of Sir William Stanley.

I couldn’t find a banner for Peshall but I did have a description from one of the Heraldic Banners books by the Lance and Longbow Society. The description was clear enough for me to recreate the banner and be reasonably confident it is ‘close’ to accurate. Certainly close enough for a 1cm square flag! Sir Hugh was an indentured retainer of Lord Hastings so it's unsurprising he would be fighting for Henry Tudor following King Richard's execution of his former patron. Sir Hugh must have distinguished himself in the fighting at Bosworth because he was knighted later the same day. 

Then we have Sir William Stanley, the younger brother of Thomas Stanley. He was a knight of the Body to Richard III and had received numerous land grants in the Welsh Marches. Despite this, he eventually committed his forces to the Lancastrian side at Bosworth. Indeed, his intervention tipped the balance at a crucial moment, ensuring victory for Henry Tudor. Despite this, he met an ignominious end just ten years later when he was executed for his part in the 1495 Perkin Warbeck conspiracy. Warbeck, for those that don’t know, was a pretender to the throne, claiming to be Richard of Shrewsbury, Duke of York, one of the so-called "Princes in the Tower". Because Sir William commands his own small army I have modeled him on his own base as a commander. 

Now I am moving on to the final three nobles and their troops to ‘complete’ the Lancastrian side. I say ‘complete’ but there are some French and Scottish troops to paint that may or may not have taken part in the battle. I’m leaving these until after I have all the main forces finished, if only because I can’t find any heraldic banners or standards for these, so a little more reading is in order! 

Points Estimate:
Sir Hugh Peshall - 24 Retinue Billmen and 24 Archers - 48x6mm Foot = 24 Points
Sir William Stanley - 24 Men-at-Arms/Foot Knights and 24 Archers - 48x6mm Foot = 24 Points
William Stanley Command Stand - 2 Cavalry - 2 Points
Total = 50 Points

From TeemuL: Good looking units, Lee! The basework looks great, I have made something in 6mm/10mm/15mm scale, but the grounding is still an issue to me. You have created some fine bushes there and they seem to be in correct scale - something I don't usually achieve. I'll grant you a couple of extra points for the flags.

15 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying seeing this project blossom, Lee! Nice work on the teeny chaps! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm really enjoying this now that I have got it under way. Hopefully I'll be able to play a game by summer!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Teemu, this should bring my running total to a round 300. Exactly halfway to my target, and ahead of schedule 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be the case.:) Points roster is now updated to include all the ready stuff from today.

      Delete
  3. Great work Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are lovely Lee. Very effective basing and great flags

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between the flags and the basing, these are just amazing work mate! Great going once more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still more great work, it’s really nice to see your army growing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are standouts Lee Well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent brushwork Lee, looking forward to seeing these in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete