Thursday 19 January 2023

From Codsticker: Sassanid Elephants and Archers [Under Construction] (80 pts)

A few years ago I picked up a bunch of painted 15mm Sassanids as a few of my gaming partners war game in 15mm, specifically Field of Glory. Although the "army" came with plenty of Cataphracts and a number of horse archers, it had no command stands and no infantry. Clearly an army "under construction". I added 8 bases of levy spearmen this past summer; 3 command stands this past fall; and here I have added some archers and a couple of nellies.


In this entry I have one group of 6 bases, all figures are Old Glory. In Field of Glory a late Sassanid army can contain a maximum of 12 bases of archers in groups of 6-8. For the sake of speed I didn't give anybody flashy trousers or colourful trim for their shirts.


 It looks like the range is made up of miniatures from at least two different ranges and/or two different sculptors. Sculpting-wise, they are a little coarse compared to more modern offerings in 15mm.


 Although I was not initially enthusiastic, the elephants and their crew were suprisingly fun to paint. As with the archers, I kept decoration simple


There were 3 crew options with the elephants, but it was a tight fit to get just two in the howdah, requiring some snipping and filing.


I am currently painting a couple of bases of horse archers which I had hoped to have done in time for this entry but they will have to wait until next week. At this point the army is 'finished' although at some time in the future I may add some light infantry as a skirmishing screen. 


For points, the archers are straightforward but I am uncertain how to price the elephants; they are mounts, crew served weapons and vehicles all rolled into one! Perhaps 6pts? If so then...
18 x 15mm foot @ 2pts a piece= 36 pts
2 x 15 Elephants @ 6pts a piece= 12 pts 
Under Construction bonus= 20pts 

Total= 68pts.

From TeemuL: I took a quick look on "Minion Guide for Challenge XIII or Just Browse the Older Posts" and elephants are scored as vehicles, so they are 8 points a piece. And you also get points from elephant crews, some of them are full, some complete. It totals to 80 points, if I'm correct. Eighty points for this rather colourful party, looking forward to see the next batch of this project!

14 comments:

  1. Lovely looking elephants and infantry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice painting - especially like the elephants
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Nellies and infantry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much details painted on 15mm models! Great work there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, great job on the Nellies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Rob, one of my favorite ancient armies

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure I could rustle up a Dad joke here somewhere. Hmm, I love howdah elephants turned out for you here. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Sassanid Persians, and you have done a great job on them. The elephants are really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking little army, Rob, especially the heffalumps. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elephants should get extra points ... Everybody loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent brushwork Rob, I've always fancied the Sassanids myself.

    ReplyDelete