Sunday 31 December 2023

From DallasE - 28mm Ancient Germans! (Overdue and Returns - 110 points)


Hello again Challengers! For my second Challenge entry I'm submitting more progress on my new Early Imperial Romans/Ancient Germans project. How does this make it into "Overdue and Returns" if it's a new project? Well, because these particular models have been sitting unpainted in a Plano case for longer than I can remember! Maybe 10 years...? They are Wargames Foundry Germans of course... but there's more to the story...  


When I first moved to Winnipeg in 1999 and began tabletop historical wargaming in earnest, I was an avid user of websites like Bartertown and TMP. Eager to get into the Imperial Roman period, I spotted a deal on two painted armies offered by a seller - Early Imperial Romans and Ancient Germans. Of course, being the Internet of the '90s, pictures of stuff for sale were hard to come by, so I asked the seller who had made the figures. "Foundry" was the answer so I pulled the trigger and bought the lot. What arrived, though, was decidedly not made by Foundry... maybe "a" foundry, but definitely not Wargames Foundry. So I tuned up the paint the best I could with washes and highlights, we had a game or two of WAB with them, and I moved them on. But I always wanted to have nice armies of Romans and ancient Germans in 28mm.  


Fast forward 25 years or so and here we are! As I said these Germans were obtained in a trade I think and have been sitting in a box for 10 years or more. So it was time to get them painted and get another new insane project further down the road to completion (!)


Unfortunately my models didn't have shields, but these were purchased from Warlord Games along with decals, which (amazingly) fit the metal shields quite well!


(The two models at right were painted pre-Challenge as a test of my "flesh method" so aren't counted in the total). I think these Germans turned out OK and are certainly a great improvement over the lumpen proles (Minifigs maybe?) that I'd bought back in the day.

So I'll count points for this lot as follows:

18 28mm Germans                90 points

Overdue and returns room     20 points

Total                                     110 points 


Here's the project progress so far! Unfortunately there will be a slight delay in resumption as I've run out of 20mm square bases but more are on the way. Ave Imperator!

_____________________________

Bartertown. Wow. Now, that takes me back - I'm sure I have some figures in my collection that originated from that much-loved site (and I'm sure a few of them are of the same dubious provenance as your first 'Foundry' lot).

Fabulous work on these hirsute Germans, Dallas! You 'flesh method' looks ace and I particularly like the striped and chequed trews of some of the heroes. I look forward to seeing more on this project over the next few months. Well done! 

- Curt

25 comments:

  1. Great work on these Germans. The leggings (at least on the models wearing their clothes) look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb work Dallas, I really love the foundry Germans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Dallas. Those manes are ace. And stripy trousers are such a pain to do. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great painting work. I should also atempt finish my Germanic warband one of these days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great Dallas, a great horde of hairy Germans letting it all hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good, Dallas. Now just 100 more to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice painting - look scary on mass ..... Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent looking Germans, however delayed!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work Dallas. These are grand old figures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work on these guys Dallas - so awesome to see this project taking off with a ton of momentum! How very...barbarian! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work on the stripes and checks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb! They fit perfectly into the barbarians from the North camp. I wonder if they like rhubarb, and hair cuts (Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbier - and yes, that is a real German compound word)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the painting. I rather enjoyed painting my Dacian and German warlord historical armies (except for the horses). These figures looks great in large groups.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the stripy trousers and the decals really add an extra level, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope the weathers good for the lads with nowt on 😆

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely work. The checked pants are crazy good mate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really great stuff - and a collection with a backstory like that is even
    better! Great stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great hairy addition to the challenge Dallas. The Wargames foundry Germans are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Man these are cool love what you've done with them great entry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the kind words all, glad you like 'em! Many more where these came from, Germanic cavalry is next!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really nice work, Dallas. I like all the detailing.

    ReplyDelete