Sunday 31 December 2023

From FrederickC - Early War Germans [Overdues & Returns] (160 points)

I find myself a bit slow out of the starting gate. It is already New Year's Eve, and I still haven't posted anything yet. No opening salvo to start this year's painting challenge, but perhaps a reconnaissance in force. My force of early war Germans consists of a squad of nine cavalry, nine casualties to act as pin markers and another truck specifically to be used as a weapons tow.

The nine cavalry figures are by Crusader Miniatures. The first three I got at least 25 years ago as a free sample with an order of primarily late war British/Canadian infantry packs. What do you do with three cavalry? In my case, you assemble and prime them, and then put them in a storage box for a quarter century. When I recently put in an order for more minis from Crusader, I decided to get two more packs to flesh out the original three to a total of nine. The Bolt Action rules don't have any provision for Heer cavarly, only SS units. I am not sure if they will see action on the table top, but most German infantry divisions in 1939-40 used cavalry for reconnaissance. They were painted using Vallejo acrylics with a variety of Games Workshop washes.

On an interesting note, the three original figures I received as a free sample had horses that looked more like plow horses than cavalry mounts. The more recently acquired figures had nicer sculpts for the horses, but being somewhat thinner, there was a noticeable gap between the horse's body and the saddle blanket.

 

The three free cavalrymen from Crusader Miniatures

Command group

'Forward at the trot!'

Early war German army cavalry on patrol

The nine casualties figures are by Black Tree Design, although I bought them when that line was still known as Harlequin Miniatures. They came as a pack with three minis of each of the three poses, one with a leg blown off, and another missing an arm. I am not sure what plans I had for them at time. Again, like many miniatures I have purchased, they sat in a storage box for at least 25 years. More recently I had mulled over plans to use them as pin markers for Bolt Action, and I had a few ideas on how I would do it. In the end, by the time I finally got around to doing something, several others had already done something similar. A case of 'great minds think alike'? I cut bases for them out of old plastic gift cards the same size as those I made for my cavalry figures, and then made a small box using a thin 2" strip of card scored every half inch so that it could be folded to form a square. The sides around the box were built up using Spackle, and then the base was coated with sand. The figures were painted as for the cavalry

 

9 pins markers for Bolt Action

A close up of the nasty wounds, and the box to hold the dice

The final element is a Krupp Protze Kfz 69 to act as a weapons tow for my Pak 36. I had painted up three of these trucks during AHPC XII, but did them as troop carriers. While on my re-enacting travels in April I stopped in at a hobby store and found they had one box of the same kit from Rubicon Miniatures that has the necessary parts to do either version of the truck. Just what I was looking for. The truck was painted using AK Interactive Dunkelgrau, and then given a wash of Vallejo European Dust Model Wash.

Rubicon Krupp Protze Kfz 69

A top view of the Protze. The Pak 36 is not part of the submission

While a variety of Library categories could apply to this submission, I am going to claim 'Overdues & Returns' which I definitely think applies to figures that have been sitting in the 'Pending' tray for at least 25 years.

 


The points being claimed are as follows:

5.5 x 28mm foot figures @ 5 points each = 27.5 points

9 x 28mm mounted figures @ 10 points each = 90 points

1 x 28mm vehicle @ 20 points each = 20 points

Library section 'Overdues & Returns' @ 20 points = 20 points


__________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge, Frederick! 

Great looking early war Germans! I particularly like the Heer cavalry and the Protze light truck. These are the kind of units you don't often see on the tabletop and a nice change from the ubiquitous later war Big Cats and Splinter Camo. As its the holiday season I'm rounding up on the half figures n' such (I know, how big of me). :)

Lovely stuff! Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!

- Curt 

PS: Remember to put in your metadata labels for future searches. :)

35 comments:

  1. An oft tempting period- you are not helping . Very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DaveD. I must warn you about my next post. It's not going to help either.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Frederick. It’s nice to see the cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. I will have to come up with a scenario in either Poland or France where I can field them as a reconnaissance element.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Barks. I think the concept worked well. I will be looking into doing some in a similar design for my WW2 Canadians and Soviets.

      Delete
  4. Love those casualty markers Frederick -- really neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SimonG. I am happy with the way they turned out.

      Delete
  5. Lovely stuff and refreshingly different from what you normally see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JamieM. More 'And now for something completely different' already lined up in the queue.

      Delete
  6. Great casualty markers, they are always useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. We'll see how well they work out on the table top.

      Delete
  7. It is a great opening shot... funnily enough I have also some overdue early war Germans in my box, likely hitting the Challenge this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Benito. I look forward to seeing your early war Germans.

      Delete
  8. Lovely early war cavalry and nice truck and casualty markers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great entry Frederick, a really nice cavalry unit and something I don't recall seeing in WW2 games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kerry. I don't think I have ever seen a cavalry unit deployed in a WW2 scenario. Plans are afoot.

      Delete
  10. Like the Protze. Casualty markers look great and are good for decluttering the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom. I agree. Clusters of pin markers on the table just makes it difficult to move units around when you have to shift the markers as well as the troops,

      Delete
  11. Great to see some Cavalry, super stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ken. We will have to see how they fare on the table top.

      Delete
  12. Great work Frederick. Love the casualty markers, they look for all the world like a bunch of guys knocked senseless by enormous dice that fell on them out of the blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Millsy. It does happen where figures get knocked over by careless dice rolling. That's why we use dice trays. ;^)

      Delete
  13. Love to see the cavalry Fredrick. The early period is so fun to play. I’m looking forward to your continued submissions. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bruce. Happy New Year to you as well. Early war is definitely my favourite WW2 period.

      Delete
  14. Great stuff Frederick, loving the cavalry patrol.

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  15. really nice work Frederick, love the lot

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great stuff here Frederick, love the cav and the casualties are extra-gruesome, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dallas. I know. Most casualty figures are just a prone or supine body with no visible damage. These are pretty graphic. :^0

      Delete
  17. Lovely work Frederick - as ever! But I won't be tempted back into WW2 LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JP. I am not trying to tempt anyone, but if it provides some inspiration, I am good. :^)

      Delete
  18. Great work! I really like the pin markers.

    ReplyDelete