Wednesday 6 January 2021

From ByronM - Star Wars Legion AT-ST and Storm Trooper Squad (65 points)

There are some models that just speak to you, crying out to be painted.  This is one of those for me.  I have always loved the Star Wars AT-ST affectionately known as the "chicken walker" by many, and last year my mom got me one for Star Wars Legion.  She picked it as it was one of her favourite Star Wars models as well, having loved watching one get smashed by the Ewoks as we watched the movies over and over again when I was a kid.

Even though I got it last year, and promptly got it assembled, it has sat since then. Mainly due to covid hitting and not being able to get together with friends to play, but also since I knew it would be an awesome show piece model for the challenge.  Since I wasn't playing games, there was no rush to get it done, so it sat until now, waiting....

Honestly, I was also a bit intimidated by it.  It is well know that I hate painting flesh, but I also hate painting vehicles (even though I feel I am ok at it).  I just am never sure where to start or end with weathering, and either always feel I under do it or over do it.  So, I had a bit of trepidation starting on this model.


I started by priming black and then airbrushing in white primer where all the highlights would be, and then into the center of the panels where it would be lighter.  Next I applied a few thin layers of a neutral grey over the entire model, and with that the base layer should have been done. As usual though, I applied it a bit to thick and it lacked a bit of contrast and shadow, so I had to go back and airbrush in some dark grey into shadow areas and around panels, and a bit of light blue grey as a filter onto the panels to make it look right to me.

Next I clear coated the whole thing with a few layers of gloss to prep for the next step, oil paint washes and rust effects.  I first used super thin (1 part paint, 8 parts thinner) black to pin wash all the panel line edges and details.  Then pulled out a nice dark red brown rust coloured "oil brusher" from AK (think of a mascara tube but full of oil paint) and put dots of it around all areas I wanted a rust colour to appear.  I then used white spirits to pull the colour where I wanted, around details, or as faded runs where I thought it might reasonably go.  Now, I don't know what an AT-ST would be made of, and it probably wouldn't be anything that rusts (most likely some kind of ceramic type armour), but screw it, I like the rust look!

Once that was done, I went back with another oil brusher called space ship filth that looked like oily grim and an oil wash from AK called exhaust. I used them to apply oil type marks around the joints on the legs and exhaust marks around the vents on the back. Again, no idea if they are exhaust vents or intakes, but I went with what I thought looked good.  I played around with all the oil effect adding more, taking them away, or thinning the effect until it looked right, using a clean brush and white spirits.

After all that was done I clear coated it again, and then started applying the sand coloured oil wash that I normally use on my Storm Troopers.  I applied several thin layers on the feet and worked it up to about half way up the legs.  I probably could have applied a few more layers as it still looks a bit too little, but I didn't want to over do it.  It was then just basing and a final clear coat left, and it was done.

Last up was another unit of Storm Troopers, but I already described how I did the Snow Troopers earlier this challenge so will not waste time again.

Not sure what to call it for points though.  SWL is 36mm scale so I am assuming it counts as 40mm as that is than 28mm, but this thing is huge at 8" tall so I am claiming 30 points for him rather than the allocated 25.  If Curt or the minions feel differently, they are welcome change it.  So that should make this submission worth 65 points.

Overall, I am super happy with how this model came out, which is rare for me as I am always very critical of my own work.  While there are some minor things that I could touch again, maybe a bit more or less weathering, a bit more sand look, I am honestly very happy with it as is, so am calling it done. 

-------

What a great stonking beast that AT-ST is! A very impressive build Bryon and you have absolutely nailed it - the weathering and detailing is just spot on. I know exactly the trepidation you mention - I try to remind myself that I can always strip it if I bungle the job, but its hard after putting hours into the different layers.  Your use of oils and pin washes has really paid dividends too.

This is just fantastic - may it blast many pesky rebels and turn them into bantha fodder! I am awarding a few extra points for the superb work.  The stormtroopers are very nice also - pity they cant hit anything :-)

Cap'n Wednesday

24 comments:

  1. Wow! Great work! I love that weathering!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing weathering and surface detsil. Whenever I try to do that it looks like something I've painted. Yours really looks like stressed and abused metal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The trick really is gloss coating and then using oils. I had issues for years with weathering and then saw a few youtuber's showing weathering with oils, it is SO much easier. You can play with it for hours or even days adjusting it, adding, or even removing super easily, unlike acrylics. If you want to try it, pick up just one colour and some thinner (oderless white spirits) and give it a go. The Oil Brushers from AK paints are an awesome way to try it as well.

      Delete
  3. That’s an amazing model and you done an awes9me job on it. Well done Byron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter it was a lot of fun to paint and very happy with it (for a change). If we ever get a chance to get together again (after all this damn lockdown crap) I will bring Legion out there to play with you guys and you can see it in person.

      Delete
  4. As Capn Wed. said, you really nailed the weathering. I tend to over do weathering, grime and wear and tear but you've done it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am with you, I tend to over do it most of the time too... just go and lookup my 30k Deathguard stuff (although, not sure beat to shit counts as overdone for Deathguard)... Hence stopping a little simpler on this one and purposely not chipping or scratching it up.

      Delete
  5. Great looking models Byron!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful weathering! Excellent finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Byron, and thanks for providing a run-down on your process. A lot of us are intimidated by using oils and it's nice to know that there is a relatively straightforward process to incorporating them into our 'tookit'. I think I may need to pick up some of that 'space ship filth'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Curt. I tend to right processes to try and write something useful to others, since I can do that and since I suck at story writing, so can not entertain like Greg, Tamsin, and many others. Hopefully at least some people find it useful. And I get being intimidated by oils, hell I still am, I only tried to use them as I am always on the lookout for an easier / faster way to do something.

      As for the space ship filth, it's actually starship filth, sorry for the typo in the article. When and if we can ever get together again, I can gladly bring some and show you how to use it if you want. Just remind me.

      Delete
  8. The AT-ST is gorgeous. Watch out for ewoks though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you put a lot of work into that AT-ST but it has surely paid off. What a stunning model. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually fairly easy (if time consuming due to waiting for layers of clear coat to dry to seal off each layer of weathering). While the oils are intimidating, they are actually much more forgiving than acrylics once you try them. And thank you, I am very pleased with her.

      Delete
  10. That is amazing and intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Barks, and I certainly hope it's intimidating enough to make the rebel scum run off the table when I can actually get some games in!

      Delete
  11. Sorry I missed this the other day - brilliant stuff Byron.
    Question - what is with the weird notches on the otherwise round base? Is that a thing for the game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg. The notches are for the movement sticks for the game. It uses something similar to X-wing or Gaslands for movement. So to use the same guides for small and large models all the large bases have notches an essentially the curve of a 30mm base in the recess to match the infantry bases. I agree a little odd, but hey, at least I covered the LOS X that you are supposed to leave visible on the top of the base. I just laser cut 90 degree templates that slot into those same indents to check for angles so other players can not complain at tournaments.

      Delete
  12. Excellent work! The weathering you did came out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a fantastic job Byron.
    Victoria currently has a AT-ST in her backlog - doting husband knows what Xmas presents hit the mark ;) - and I think she is a bit cautious about the approach too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Wish her luck with it for me, and I think we all get that way with big or expensive models. They are both big time sinks and money sinks relative to our normal models. In the end though, we just have to power through and try it out. The worst that happens is you have to get a new one and try again :-)

      Delete
  14. AT-ST Always reminds me of a walking wheelie bin 😄 great job on painting this, really good
    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete