Wednesday 6 January 2021

From ScottC: Gandalf and thugs - The Chamber of Darkness Submission (40 pts)

 Our humble adventurers have walked right into a nasty pair of thugs but fear not! 





"Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east"

- Gandalf 





Gandalf comes rushing to the rescue, light ablaze to drive the shadows away. 

I was going to submit gandalf alone as a submission for the Chamber of Darkness but I figured that I have never tried my hand at true greyscale. Low and behold it was actually a ton of fun! These two thugs are old Malifaux figures that I purchased second hand at adepticon 2 years ago. I didn't think I would ever paint these blokes as most of my collection is 28mm so I am grateful for the challenge to bring these out. I took some inspiration from Bloodborne and I think the paint job fits the bill.

All of the figures are 28mm in scale, the two thugs on 32mm bases and gandalf on 40mm.

Points:

2x thugs = 10 

Gandalf =  15

Chamber of challenge bonus = 20

Total = 45pts

-------

Well, those are glorious greyscale figures - are they really your first attempt? It looks a rather daunting process but you've done it very nicely. Great to see people trying new things in the Challenge!

2 x 28mm Infantry and 1 x Mounted fig is 20 points, for a total of 40 with the chamber bonus

Cap'n Wednesday


11 comments:

  1. Very nice entries, and a wonderful job at grey scale. I actually like the grey scale paint job better than the Gandalf you were going to submit alone. I have to ask though, why would the Malifaux guys have otherwise never been painted? Malifaux is an awesome little skirmish game, that really doesn't get enough love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a Zipp goblin set that I bought many years ago I had the intention of painting to get into malifaux, these thugs were just part of a second hand lot I bought to fit into my other 28mm stuff before I realized they were a smidgen too big. But I think they'll look super cool as fantasy boss-like thugs. One day I'll get some more malifaux goblins and paint up a force.

      Delete
  2. Great greyscale figures and nice Gandalf!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice greyscale thugs. Gandalf is nice but the thugs are better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work on the greyscale Scott. The Malifaux figures are really suited to this treatment actually.

    Did you put Gandalf on a special base or is that stock? It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a 40mm mdf base with some pink insulation foam carved to look like the side of a hill, I had to pin gandalf to the base.

      Delete
  5. All three of the minis are very nice, but the greyscale thugs especially so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your Gandalf (the eyes are good!), but the thugs are very good. My favourite is the guy in the top hat, excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Gandalf and Shadowfax pelting downhill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool pair of Malifaux figures 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete