Wednesday 6 January 2021

from JeremyM: Aliens Hall of Traps (75 points)

 Hi all,

So now that I've paid my cost of entry (I actually accidently posted it to Curt's regular blog yesterday...Wups!), time to get going on some of the challenge chambers. I'll start off with the Hall of Traps with some trapped Aliens. These are all 28mm figures from Prodos Games, who no longer holds the license to make them. I know some people felt they got burned by their kickstarter, but they really made wonderful figures that definitely captured the spirit of the Aliens Universe. 

Here is the group all together. Most are from the second edition of the AVP the Hunt Begins game or its expansions.



The bigger vignette was a limited edition figure they released right before loosing the license. Its basically the iconic scene of Vasquez in the ventilation shaft 'trapping' an alien right before she shoots it. Unfortunately the acidic blood means she is nearly as hurt as the creature. I was rather intimidated to paint this but couldn't not do it as I liked the duality it suggested as 'who was really trapped' given the ultimate outcome of the scene. Now having just rewatched the film today I realized they likely didn't have the rights from the actor as she wasn't wearing the vest or ball cap she is depicted as donning on the mini...but we all know who they meant to sculpt.


Here are three more figures from the series that I also thought fit the 'Hall of Traps' theme. Two are alien stalkers (aka the dog alien from Alien 3) that appear to be stuck (or perhaps trying to attack under) in some machinery and a yellow pipe. There is also an alien soldier emerging from a pipe, probably my favourite mini from the entire range.


And above there are some of the other Alien Warriors and Stalker friends I painted up at the same time. Originally they were just partially painted as I was testing out some different painting schemes and techniques and figured I came this far why not just finish them all up. 

So for my first room in the challenge I have 11 28mm figures (I figure Vasquez and the alien count as 2) with the room bonus I think that puts me at 75 points for this stage.

-------
"Yeah, but secreted from what?" It doesn't get much freakier than that -  a classic SciFi trap and these models are lovely! 

Whatever else surrounded that Prodos KS and its issues, those dynamic alien models are the bomb and you've done them proud. 75 points well earned Jeremy!

Cap'n Wednesday

8 comments:

  1. Great looking bunch of aliens and nice vignette!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on these very creepy figures Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Terrific work Jeremy. It's such a pity that they lost the licence as the figures are excellent. I didn't realize you got that exclusive vignette of Vasquez and the Alien. It would have been cool to have another one with her and Lt. Gorman just before they tap-out with the grenade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. Yah I picked up that figure along with a bunch of last minute extras I had put off buying. It was a now or never sort of situation. Still a bit disappointed I could never afford the drop ship, but it was pretty pricey and I wanted an assortment of their other figures which just seemed to get better with time.

      Delete
  4. Great work, the Vasquez vignette is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great if slightly disconcerting collection. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! I had to exercise a lot of self-control to not get these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Sci Fi weirdness !
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete