Wednesday 6 January 2021

From StuartL - The Minis that Time (and I) Forgot - 45 Points

 Hello again. Today I am braving the Oubliette in the Chambers of Challenge. The theme is to paint some minis that you thought you had sold, or from a long forgotten project. Well, my entry is a set of GW Lizardmen models that I originally bought second hand around 1998. At that time they had already had a lick of paint on them. They then sat in my collection untouched for years. After I emigrated to Japan in 2004, they stayed in the UK until my parents eventually sent them over to me in around 2008. They then sat untouched in my collection until about 2012 when I sold them on to a friend who was interested in them. At some point after that, he passed them on to another friend in our gaming group. This second friend recently had a clear out of their hobby stash and gave me a load of old models. Included in the pile were all the lizardmen that I had long since forgotten about. 


So these models have had 3 owners over 22 years who had done absolutely no work on them except to glue some magnetic sheet to the bases to aid on ranking the models up.


I went for a dark colour for the mini itself with a bright crest and colourful basing material. The original condition of the minis can be seen below. I have an army of these old school lizardmen now sat in a box in my hobby room. Hopefully I can get them all updated in less than 22 years.


I debated about rebasing the minis to round bases for AoS, but with rumours that there will eventually be a new version of WFB, I elected to keep them on square bases for the time being. 

5x 28mm minis and the chamber bonus should get me 45 points.
This lot should also get me 1 more point for my Squirrel tally for WFB/AoS (I'm not going to try to differentiate between them). They also add another 25 points to my GW minis side duel. Speaking of which I recently posted some Blood Bowl minis that I thought weren't from GW but it turns out they were, so I need to add 25 points to my side duel tally for them too.

My running duels totals.
GW Points - 337
Skullz - 100
Squirrels - 7

-------

Always very satisfying to see an old ship cleaned up and given a new lick of paint. Nelson's flagship HMS VICTORY was a dismasted prison hulk before she was given the right royal treatment and put back into action, and she remains the pride of the RN today. These Lizardmen are your HMS VICTORY, which is cool.

Square bases are noble and righteous.  Venerable Warhammer figures put on circular bases is Heresy and will incur a penalty of 5 lashes. You have All been warned...

Cap'n Wednesday

17 comments:

  1. Lovely bit of refurbishing! They look great on their square bases!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. It was good to finally do something with them.

      Delete
  2. Great work on these Lizardmen. I guess they shed a layer of skin and revealed a glossy new skin underneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only it were that easy. But their new skin looks a lot better regardless.

      Delete
  3. I love the story behind these models! Great work, so neat to see them getting some paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have certainly been biding their time. Thanks Greg.

      Delete
  4. These skinks have been around the block! Well, it looks like you were always destined to give them their due. Well done Stuart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local group is fairly isolated, so mini trading tends to stay within a small group of people. This isn't the first time I've had models come back around and probably won't be the last.

      Delete
  5. These boys have really been around! Nice paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Top job on there old duffers

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice story and nice restoration work! I love the bright blue crests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely restored, and a good tale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even the fish are walking now ! Nice save 9n these minis 👍

    ReplyDelete