Wednesday 6 January 2021

from RayR - Rocky Scatter Terrain

  


For my second entry into the 11th Challenge I thought I'd get some terrain done.


I bought these Woodlands Scenics plaster cliff faces, from a Railway shop in Chatham, ready made.


They were only a few quid each.


They're based on some spare bases I got cut from Warbases, for some jungle terrain I made last year.


To paint them, I first run them under a tap for a few seconds as plaster is very porus. This allowed the inks and paints to flow free, rather than dry instantly as it soaked into the plaster.

Then slapped on various black, brown and grey inks. and other greys, browns and greens
using watered down paint.


Gotta admit, I didn't think they'd look this good?


I originally bought them as I was looking for some scatter terrain to fill out a small table for some Donnybrook FIW games I put on via Zoom last year. But just couldn't find the time to get them done.
These are some 25mm Native Americans, shown just for scale.


And are these 15mm Natives, just for scale. I think they work quite well for both scales


Now the hard bit......the points.
Placing the 3 biggest on top of each other makes approx 2 x  6' boxes
with the 3 smaller pieces making approx 1 x 6' box, I think?
So I'd guess at 3 boxes, which equals 60 points?
But it might well need adjudicating???

Mr Minion, where are you?
----------
Thats CAPTAIN minion to you - so lets start by taking 5 points off shall we? Right then...
 
I've played with these particular plaster casts before and never got them to come out anywhere near as well as yours. I like your technique of running them under water before painting. Clever - I'll give that a go. You get 5 bonus points for sharing this tip, so now you are back to zero.

They are really cracking - useful for so many games but particularly at home for FIW.

I will cautiously agree to your claim that is comprises three non-metric terrain cubes. Thats 60 points.
I am also awarding 5 points for the very nice basing
Additionally, I have a submission from a well known hobby-blogger in Ireland who requested that I "Take 5 points off everything that fecking bloke submits"which I feel obligated to honour.  So tallying up, thats:

-5+5+60+5-5 = 60 points.  Good job!

Cap'n Wednesday



23 comments:

  1. Nice work on these rock outcropping satay, they look the business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a couple of those that I have not made good use of but your entry has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking rocks,didn't know about the model shop in Chatham, I'll have a look next time I'm there,theres a good shop in Rochester which does wargames figures and railway stuff,nice finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shop Regal Models is just outside the Dockside Outlet Centre on St Mary's Island. Well worth a visit if your nearby.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the post - good to see some terrain entries for inspiration and reminds me need to attempt something this challenge. Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Jez, I hope to see your terrain efforts later on in the challenge.

      Delete
  5. These really do look superb Ray. I may have to get/make some of them for my collection. Great tip on using water to prep the surface for painting - I never knew that, but it makes perfect sense. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gardening. Is that it. Good job they look fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin!!! Don't do gardening......unless its 15 or 25mm!

      Delete
  7. Lovely work on the terrain, they look very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These rocks look very stony. Very well done, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete