Saturday 16 January 2021

From TomG - Ork2 D2 - The Orcs' Pit - 25 points

From a race so foul we find them in pits, to a film character so rude every single word he speaks is censored with a beep or whistle! 

It was at this point I realised I had met my Challenge goal of 500pts, so I now intend on smashing on through the Chambers as they've brought me so much joy already! 

So, as I continue through the Chambers of Challenge, I finally had a reason to paint up this chap, having hung up my Warhammer 40k boots for good with the most recent release. A superb sculpt, from I believe to be Scibor miniatures, this ork certainly seems to have got himself an interesting outfit. 

The painting of this chap was a mix of my favourite hobby past time, painting orc skin, to trying out different weathering effects. I mostly stuck to stippling and washes, but I managed to add in an enamel rust fluid from AK Interactive and a pool of GW Nurgles Rot for the green ooze on the rear of the base. 

In keeping with the lore to 40k, and trying to stick to a vaguely R2D2 colour theme, we've got a lucky blue lid and wrist bands. The bands were a fun treat to paint as dyed leather, initially working up through blue highlights, then switching to Vallejo Cork Brown to add the cracked edges of the leather beneath. 

For the hand pads, they were initially a lot cleaner, but after a happy little mistake they ended up looking suitably corroded and scuffed up. The barrel added an interesting feature with the plug at the front, and although it was tempting to have blood or slime coming out of it, oil ended up making more sense. 

I did try to get as vibrant an orc skin tone as I could, simply just to contrast with the muted and desaturated tones of the metallic surfaces. All in all, my favourite piece so far, and I hope you like it too.

Points -
28mm Infantry = 5pts
Challenge Bonus = 20pts
Total = 25pts.

8 comments:

  1. I love Scibor stuff! Evan always treated us to their wares, so it's nice to have this as a reminder of their whacky sculpts. Love the texture on the metal bits. Wonderful brushwork Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the old school TV programme 3-2-1 and Dusty Bin 😁👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very cool little mini. The weathering looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking weird miniature!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. interstign figure... makes me think R2-D2 on cyrstal meth!

    ReplyDelete