Saturday 16 January 2021

From TomG - Shaun the Sheep Had It Coming! - The Shrine - 25pts

After a successful burst of hobby productivity, I bring you my second entry of the day, with this ancient priest, mid sacrifice, trying to please the gods and enjoy some tasty mutton after the ceremony. The miniature was a freebie given away with the release of the SPQR skirmish game from Warlord Games, and was very nearly the entry prize this year, but he fitted the Shrine setting too well not too silly his services there. 

I wanted to distinguish between the warm yellows and reds used in the knife, tunic/toga and his skin, from that of the sacrificial sheep, but it was harder than I thought. My initial fear was the the white wool would completely blow out the colour composition of the model, leaving a desaturated and washed out effect. However that wasn't the case, simply by changing up the texture and going for a more muted brown/off-white tone.

I attempted to add this texture to the sheep but selectively adding rough patches of highlights, then highlighting again with another semi random attack pattern. ,I ed with this were the dark horns and hooves and the sheep no longer detracted from the priest, and instead helped the model "pop" as some might say.

Although the model is made of an odd soft resin plastic, which made clean up harder, the overall finish was fun to create, and allowed me to practice yet more on my journey on perfecting painting yellow. Long way to go yet but I'm happy with this one.

Points -
28mm Infantry = 5pts
Challenge Bonus = 20pts
Total = 25pts

22 comments:

  1. Terrific work Tom on a very unique figure and, as you say, perfect for the Shrine theme. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Shaun! Great looking model though. I know what you mean about Warlord resin too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I guess you could say he's in for a close shave... I'll get my hat 😂

      Delete
  3. fantastic bit of painting, the auguries will be good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martin, I'm hoping the gods smile down on us all.

      Delete
  4. Sheep, one thing us Yarkshire folk do know about, the lad needs to wrap up a bit, he'll catch his death with that sheet round his bits 🙂
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely sculpt and good work on the toga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That should keep the (painting) gods happy for a while. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for the room and a good bit of table clutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, he's most likely bound to join my Athenians if they ever get finished.

      Delete
  8. Nice looking pair of figures for the shrine!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work, Tom - and a perfect compliment to the theme of 'Shrine'. I love the colour composition you've used. The colours work very well, and I have also been really enjoying your photographic backdrops this Challenge. Top work, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sidney, and I'm glad you've enjoyed the backdrops. This one is a printout from the Massive Voodoo blog who have a few different colours and sizes. The other one I've used is my airbrush spray board that just happened to have a convenient spotlight effect.

      Delete