Wednesday 31 December 2014

From MartinN - 28mm Blitzkrieg German Pioneers (40 Points)

With the Challenge already on full steam I had to finally pull out my finger and get going. So here's the first of two submissions for today. Here we have eight 28mm Pioneers from Warlord Game's superb "German Pioneers" boxed set.

 




I know there are some (certain) gamers out there who don't like, well maybe even hate, prone figures but I for one am a big fan of these as they bring much needed variety to the table and in case of the fellow below even may tell a little story.



One can almost hear the bullets zipping past his head while he tries to cut a way through the wire for his comrades to follow. Poor bastard.


My favourite from this set is the Flamethrower guy. He looks just mean and I definitely don't want to be on the receiving end of that tube.
Not having had much research on German Flamethrowers before I found several pics on Google showing a variety of colours, ranging from almost black over brown and green to even a light blue.



In the end I decided for a rather cold blue which is a bit darker than the original light blue I found.



The rest of the guys were rather straight forward to do. Only the Pionieer rucksacks gave me some headaches as these again seem to have been manufactured in thousands of different shades varying from a dark brown over dark green to even a light green.



On the other hand of course this variety is one of the main reasons for me for collecting German armies for my WW2 gaming. You always can paint every single figure as an individual even if they're the very same sculpt. Especially for Skirmish gaming that's a big plus in my books. And because Germans look simply cool in their spit and polish uniforms of course ;-)



What I didn't like about the set were some of the metal separate heads which have the trademark exaggerated expressions of the comic style Warlord Games do with most of their stuff. I had hoped to filter out the worst but looking at the pic below it seems like I've missed one... well no matter he looks like a friend of mine so not too far off 'normal' human physiognomy of sorts.



As a side note I came over some discussion on the web while 'researching' my pioneers which were quite confused about the difference between the German Pioniere and the engineers in other armies.

While in most armies the engineers only performed limited battlefield duty and were mostly given construction and/ or demolition duties in the Wehrmacht however the Pioniere found themselves most of the time at the tip of an attack, clearing away obstacles, crossing rivers and performing every kind of duty necessary to breach the enemy lines.


On the retreat again they found themselves most often in the rearguard while preparing bridges to be blown up and creating obstacles like minefields etc. while often fending off enemy attacks. While there's much talk of the so called 'elite' status of the SS or the famous Panzers and Panzergrenadiere in my view the Pioniere are the forgotten heroes.


So if I'm not totally mistaken this entry should add 40 Points to my total unless our dear Mr. Snowman decides otherwise because of the prone figure.


From Curt:Oh wow. These are some of the best painted WWII miniatures I have ever seen. Brilliant work Nick, your brushwork is so precise and smooth it makes me shake my head in wonder. I know you're not a fast painter but your final results are always stunning. 
I agree in  your assessment of the German combat pioneers. Their critical role as 'first in, last out' is often overlooked or obscured by the (somewhat disturbing) hero worship of the Waffen SS.  
I usually give half points for prone figures abut I don't think anyone will begrudge me for awarding a full set for your wire-cutter. Again, fantastic work Nick.

32 comments:

  1. Those pioneers are indeed fantastic! Looks like I will be doing an order with Warlord Games come the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous painting - hard to believe they are 28mm not 54 mm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb figures - I agree with Curt that these are some of the best painted ww2 figures I've ever seen - you got some impressive skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only tip my cap in admiration of your skills.... Your work is superb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin, this is simply superb stuff.

    They are great sculpts, and your paintwork has really taken advantage of all the detail provided. Very expressive work, and suitably grimy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow they look amazing, very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible painting. Amazing work. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only word that is necessary is SUPERB!

    Pip pip

    ReplyDelete
  9. I concur with everyone else. Marvellous work

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we are all in agreement here. Absolutely stellar brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have come to the realisation that I will never be that good. Now I just need to come to terms with it!
    Inspiring and excellent brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  12. stunning brush work, you have brought the figures to life really love your painting style

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work on these buggers Martin! This set really is one of the best that Warlord has to offer. Great detail and lot of nice add ons to spice up your units

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely lovely. And good research skills as I didn't know that about these chaps role on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice brushwork! They look very much like hardbitten vets! The wire cutting figure is very nice, but my favorite is the flame thrower. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. excellent and very atmospheric work

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning just stunning

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  18. It has already been said by many, but these are absolutely fantastic! Outstanding painting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These just look amazing, as your figures always do. I really love the way the whole squad looks together. Each figure is great, but as a group they have loads of character.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As we say in North America, you hit this entry out of the park. I am sure this will be one of my favourite entries, and that's a lot to say with 77 days to go. I love the flesh tones and face on the kneeling NCO and the flammenwerfer guy (it werfs flammens) is amazing. Points well deserved for this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful painting work. There is a fantastic painting guide here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. Beautifully painted!
    (obviously you're paintwork has the wow factor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Somehow you've managed to make grey and brown really eye catching. Excellent work on these.

    ReplyDelete
  25. GORGEOUS. The flamethrower figure is indeed a centerpiece. The lenses on his goggles could almost be real glass. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. But how’d you get such stunning results in so little time? 😭

    ReplyDelete