Saturday 7 February 2015

From SimonM - The Tenth Planet (20 Points)

Four Mark One Cybermen from "The Tenth Planet"
These four 28mm metal models are based upon the Cybermen from the British Science Fiction television series “Doctor Who” story "The Tenth Planet". This four-part serial opened Season Four back in October 1966 when William Hartnell was the (original) Doctor. They're made by “Black Tree Design” under code DW117 Mk 1 Cyberman.

"Tenth Planet" Cyberman - Washed, dry-brushed and face 'picked out' with black
All of the Cybermen were first undercoated with “Citadel” Abaddon Black and then given a layer of “Vallejo” Gunmetal Grey. Once dry each was washed with the "Citadel" Shade Nuln Oil. The models were then dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Gunmetal Grey, before receiving a light dry-brush of "Citadel" Mithril Silver. Finally I picked out their cloth faces with "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey and their flesh with Heavy Skintone. Their faces were then washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. In order to make their hands 'stand out' they were first washed with the last of my Ogryn Flesh and then the fingers were highlighted with more "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone.
The Mark I Cyberman will have a grey-cloth face and human hands
As these original silver giants pre-date my bright silver “Tomb Of The Cybermen” models I thought the darker paint would give them a less sophisticated appearance. However these are rather disappointing models, both in their pose and size. Their television counterparts were enormous bulky behemoths, which towered over the other actors. These rather softly sculpted figures are dissatisfying smaller and sleeker in build than the other "Black Tree Design" Cyberman models I've previously painted.

The Mark I Cyberman is dwarfed when compared to the Mark II version and the Cyberleader

From Curt:

Cool entry Simon! The Cybermen with the flesh hands and 'grey-cloth' faces are particularly creepy.  Well done!


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I would say I was glad to get these finished as the models are rather disappointing but I've just found another one to do :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh If I had a use for Cybermen I would be painting them!
    Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. Just a pity about their small size.

      Delete
  3. I really do like the effect you achieved with those cloth faces. Very much enjoying your Dr. Who stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Plenty of Dr Who stuff coming... just need to find the time :-)

      Delete
  4. Good job despite the soft detail. Shame about the scale issue as well

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ian. I was hoping to include them in my Cyberforce for "ZombieTV" but they're sadly better suited to 20mm gaming than 28mm.

      Delete
  5. Wonderfully creepy Blax. I'm a massive fan of the older series (don't like the new soaps with all the running about and lack of plot). Good too see I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Love the "Classic", despise the "New". Plenty of old Whovian minis still to come :-)

      Delete
  6. Classic bad guys. Nice work on these rare miniatures. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi. Much appreciated as they're my fave Cybermen... though poorest models.

      Delete