Wow Ian, facing colours in 6mm! And a trumpeter in reversed colours! Your eyes must be much younger than mine. These are of course wonderful, and the Boy better be grateful about getting them. I like the horses, I like the basing, I like the uniforms, I live the dice holders. I like everything about them!
Monday, 11 January 2016
From IanW 6mm Napoleonic Cavalry (Two Sides to Every Dragoon) 36 points
Following on from the Rifles The Boy wanted me to do some of his Heavy Dragoons so I dipped into the regular regiments. These are as you probably guessed are Baccus (I will get some Adler done at some point) and are for my sons Peninsular army.
We have the 1st Royal Dragoons and the 3rd Kings Own Dragoons, both sporting the Bicorn and not really looking that heavy when you stand them next to the French heavies but that's life in the British army of 18..
All my 6mm now are being fitted with dice holders, The Boy will gain the most benefit as almost all his units will be fitted out this way whilst most will have to do without. These were quite nice to paint and after so many helmets the bicorn made a nice change.
The next British will be Redcoats, I have plenty to paint for him though I am not sure how many will be done over the course of the challenge. I guess a lot depends on how well I get on with the other projects I have on the go.
Talking of other projects, Lee and I plan to do the whole 1812 Russia thing in the next year or so, as such I really need to get moving on some of the supporting cast. Here are two of the three Italian Guard Dragoon regiments I need to get done. Soon I will also be painting up the Italian Guard infantry, a nice change to the 80+ French and 70+ Prussians I did for Waterloo.
The front regiment is the Italian Guard Dragoons whilst those with Pink facings are the Queens Dragoons. I raised a few chuckles with the fact that I do paint facings for 6mm units, all I can say is that you should see my Prussians!
These are the old Baccus castings rather than the new ones. Slightly smaller than the new but the detail is really nice. I still have a few regiments worth of the Dragoons and some light cavalry so these again will be used for allied cavalry.
Only on adding the pictures have I noticed in my rush to finish I have missed off the white straps across the backs, I will add the detail before varnishing them Wednesday. Being green they will be able to stand in for French Dragoons if pushed but seeing as I already have rather a lot of French that probably won't be required.
So it's been a real busy week painting but don't expect the same again soon, I will go back to a little slower pace for a few weeks and get my wind back.