Sunday 1 January 2017

From MartinC: 3rd Entry - VBCW and more Colonial Brits (155 Points)

Starting to get up to speed now. After many years of experimenting with washes and not really liking the result - generally they look like dried dirty water, I've lucked out and made one that works using brown and sand coloured emulsion paint very thinned down. It gives an even coating over the figure whilst collecting in the folds etc. and not drying like, well water. I've used it on the following figures and I am really pleased with the result.

First up 9 Ironclad female militia for VBCW


These are really nice figures although some of them look a bit like Grayson Perry

Grayson Perry

To go with these some Artisan (I think) Russian Partizans. Most of these will do for VBCW with some a Russian Comrades for the Miners.





I will use some of these for Back of Beyond also

During the Battle of Alston Moor, see Battle Rep here, the leader of the Royalist Hexhamshire faction was killed by a pigeon bomb - a most dastardly weapon. The leaderless Royalists have pressed Brigadier General Talbot McAlpine (Ret.) into service. Here he sits astride his trusty charger Briseis



Northstar Lucky Bag figure

Finally a unit of the Rifle Regiment for my Africa Campaign - these fought in the Zulu War. The figures are Foundry Indian Mutiny and had air pipe helmets. A bit of tweaking and they will do. Nice to have a unit that isn't Red or Khaki.

That's 29 infantry and 1 mounted figure = 155pts.
Happy New Year and if 2016 was anything like mine then then I hope 2017 is much better for one and all, and if not can we all be on the same side in WWII

 ____________________________________

I hate to say it but do you mean 'WWIII' (shudder)? Yes, let's hope that 2017 is a better year.

Haha, I like the Grayson Perry comparison. Yes, I've run across a few female figures where I wonder if they should be stand-ins for a British slapstick. Nonetheless, it's good to see that there are some options for female partizans as I had not seen Ironclad's offerings. Good work Martin, your new wash seems to work very well and they will serve very nicely as miners in VBCW

McAlpine looks to be a venerable old soldier and hopefully he doesn't meet the same end as his predecessorThat is a very striking figure - he has a Sir Douglas Haig look about him. Nice job on the horse as well!

Nice to see some Greenjackets someplace other than the Peninsula. A nice skirmishing option for your Colonial games! 

 155 points to add to your steady march in the points roster. Well done!

30 comments:

  1. Good to see some VBCW action on the challenge. I agree some Ironclad can be uhrm shall we say better than others. I hope you have more VBCW to come this year as I for one love to see this setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love VBCW, only a few more figures to do though, my forces are getting big

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Martin. Love the old codger on horseback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff always like to see colonial stuff and rifles are great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work. That McAlpine is quite the impressive looking fellow. I enjoyed the Grayson Perry comparison! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grayson's work is actually pretty good

      Delete
  5. I also like to see new VBCW units and figures in the challenge. I have a few of my own I should work on. I like your basing for these figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love the period. lots of opportunities to paint random cool figures

      Delete
  6. Nice work Martin - the Brigadier looks a fine gentleman indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good mix and I like the Partizan figures the best, great work

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've found some really great models there. The paint jobs bring them to life. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An eclectic entry, Martin, and the general is especially imposing.

    I have to say though, this is probably the first appearance of Grayson Perry on a miniatures blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers, hopefully not the last appearance of Grayson. I actually like him, the drag is a childish affectation but i do like quite a lot of his art

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice block of figures! I hadn't seen the female partisans but they'll certainly add something a little different to the tabletop and that's a big part of why we paint these things up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the random variety is why I play VBCW, I have women, miners, postmen, firemen and all kinds of randomness

      Delete
  12. I like the partisans in particular!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely models though i could have done without seeing Grayson Perry! :)
    I also quite enjoyed your AAR of the Battle of Hexham. VBCW seems incomprehensible to non-Brits like myself, but it does seem to be a sweet spot of silliness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like them all, Martin. It's very hard to pick a favorite here. The general is quite a figure though!
    I very much appreciate VBCW as I can see the figures used as partisans in WW2 gaming as well as heroes, villains, and just minions in pulp, gangster, and horror settings.

    ReplyDelete