Wednesday 25 March 2020

From SanderS: Challenge X Recap. 2,248 points

Hoi,

Last year I started this post with Big Chris saying: "It has been emotional!" Well this year kinda felt more relaxed. At the start I had all these plans and goals set for myself:
- visit all Island locations.
- finish my Indian Mutiny forces
- Paint some Napoleonics in 1:72 as a tribute to Curt
- Paint most of my prepared Dark Angel forces
And so on, and so ad nauseam...

None of this all actually worked out as it never does, but I wasn't bothered by that... so what happened?! I honestly do not know but I do realise that our beloved Challenge isn't about getting the most points cost what it may cost (No Noel it isn't!) it's about the comradeship that Curt so eloquently described in his Red Lancers post.

I think it was Miles who pointed out that we have been missing Millsy this Challenge and that his absence is sorely felt. He is of course entirely correct in this but personally I have really missed my usual partner in crime: Lord Awdry, Michael I do hope to see you during the next Challenge!


Before taking a look at all the painted stuff, I would like to take the chance of thanking everyone involved in this Challenge for making it the paint-fest it always is: you my fello Challengers for all your brilliant work, inspiration and encouragement, the Minions for their sterling efforts in keeping the train on it's track (even Peter and Badger-boy!) although I do think Tamsin deserves a special mention because she kept track of everything pointswise behind the scenes and I think she has managed yet again to reply to ALL entries posted, the Lady Sarah for putting up with us and letting us use her balloon and of course the Great Blue One, The Lord of Snowdrifts and Avalanches of White Metal, Curt!

So what did I paint? well this:


 Of course some stuff is missing: the Gloomhaven figures are with Mark by now and I forgot to add the Awdry's Atol contribution...


 Arthur's stuff is mostly to the right of the pile:


Now what are my conclusions regarding this Challenge? Okay so I have painted quite a few things that have been clogging the painting desk for a long time. The GI Joe helicopter, the Death Watch Marines and the Viking Characters foremost amongst them.


Another conclusion is that Challenge Island is really cool and perhaps even better than the previous theme-rounds, but I feel a bit of a fraud getting 30 points when entering just 1 figure. So in future I will try to prevent this.
I have learned a lot of new skills during this Challenge mainly putting together my Ender 3 pro (my newest bestest friend) and painting all those Star Wars Legion figures really gave me an opportunity to get to grips with all kinds of different sandy colours and weathering.

As is tradition I forgot to take a picture that includes both me and Arthur with the painted pile but I'll rectify that like this:

Me preparing to start the Challenge Island Tour.





The lad and myself at Hamley's in London with Optimus Prime and look I am wearing the same shirt as in the other picture!


So what now? Well I foolishly submitted to be allowed to join the Quarantine Challenge and that will be fun! I fully intend to use it to continue my travels on Challenge Island because I do believe all the people who have submitted ideas for the locations deserve me visiting, or is that cruel and unusual punishment?

Anyway lot's of stuff is going on over here at the paint desk so I will keep going for sure. That said the lock-down/ quarantine is really upsetting my schedule since as a teacher I am supposed to teach via Google Meets and am now giving video-lessons quite a lot: I hate that! But oh well let's just wait and see.

See you guys at the other Challenge or else next year, keep safe, healthy and painting!

Sander and Arthur!


24 comments:

  1. It's always good to see what you and Arthur paint during the Challenge - the lad is certainly getting the hang of things. :)

    See you in the Quarantine Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin you're too kind! We will see each other in the Quarantine Challenge!

      Delete
  2. Well you knocked out a ton of stuff, I really liked the GI Joe helicopter but my favourites were the star wars tank and all the other star wars stuff!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were nice indeed and there's a few of them awaiting for the Quarantine Challenge as well!

      Delete
  3. Great work Sander, your entries are always a lot of fun to see and read, this edition was no exception. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you kind sir, your comments and brilliant Minioning are very much appreciated! See you in the next Challenge!

      Delete
  4. Yo7 and the lad had a great Challenge Sander. Loved your output. Stay healthy, stay goofy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goofy? Who are you calling Goofy! Love your comments mate and indeed the goofing around!

      Delete
  5. That's what I call productivity: painting like a mad Stajanovist!! Well done and thanks for your blog entries in the Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go and google Stajanovist now, but thanks heaps anyway! :-)

      Delete
  6. great variety! A great example of how to work with completely different systems and miniatures. many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great effort from Arthur and your good self Sander. Very well done ol' chap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers RTay see you in the Quarantine Challenge!

      Delete
  8. As always, Sander, some great entries. I particularly liked GI Joe - but your entries are often unusual. And, you're right, of course, it's all about the comradeship, the mutual support, not about the points (though points can be nice!) I've a feeling that Quarantine Challenge, being pointless, might be an even more sociable, esp in these trying times. C U there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will definately see you in the Other CHallenge and I didn't mean anything by it you're just such an easy target with all those points! You just wait till I am retired (in 27 years time...) I'll paint as much as you do and then some!

      Delete
  9. Good work, Sander & Arthur!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work and a great result, even if your plans didn't always survive intact. The post-apocalypse cars are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They tend not to survive don't they? But thanks heaps Stuart!

      Delete
  11. You and Arthur had a brilliant Challenge. The highlights for me were Arthur's vehicles and your work on the Crisis Protocol boxed set. Fabulous work you two! See you in Quarantine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a nice bunch of stuff indeed. As always the pleasure was all mine and we will certainly be joining the Quarantine Challenge shortly.

      Delete
  12. Sander, you and Arthur both produced some cracking work this Challenge. Well done, you chaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Evan we really appreciate that!

      Delete