Thursday 15 December 2022

SidneyR - Painting Table and Challenge XIII Painting Plans

 


According to my desk calendar, dear fellow Challengers, we are now just five days away from the annual chaos of modelling, gluing, sanding, painting and varnishing that we all know and love as the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge.  Challenge number thirteen, in fact.  

To some a scary number, loaded with superstition and fear.  But not to any of us, I hope...

I think this is my tenth Painting Challenge - gosh, how many figures have I ended up painting in these Challenges?  A few, at least - though perhaps not as many as fellow-Challenger and all-round Statistics-God Miles might have (double-) counted!  

I've been looking forward to this Challenge in particular as last year's (Challenge XII) was blighted by a family bereavement, which made it very difficult to do any painting or stay motivated.

One year further on, and I'm hopeful that this Challenge will be a very enjoyable journey.  And as part of the pre-Challenge excitement, I have cleared my painting table a little and finished off a few projects in advance.

I always try hard to keep the painting table free from a lot of clutter, but over the years the paints, varnishes, inks and bottles of Acrylic Flow Improver, not to mention brushes and painting palettes, have encroached even further onto what should be the clean areas in which the magic (...coughs...) takes place.  I have a feeling that many of you have the same experience!



As for what I am hoping to paint in Challenge XIII, I'm expecting that my main theme will be painting Japanese (and Japanese-inspired) figures for use in the small skirmish game I've been working on for the past couple of years.  Here's a few of the next batch of figures being prepared, together with some eclectic terrain pieces.  

While we started the writing the "With Flashing Blades" skirmish rules for an Alexander Dumas-inspired "Three Musketeers" game, since those are just about finished we have moved the action to the same time-frame (the seventeenth century) but across the world to Japan.  I've loved that evolution, and I'm in the process of building some Japanese terrain pieces which will hopefully find a home in the Challenge at some point.

The details are, of course, a closely-guarded secret, concealed confidentially in one of my notebooks.  Which partly means I need to translate insane scribbles to sentences ... but you get the idea.



It'll be a great Challenge and looking forward to seeing all your entries very soon!

Very best regards.

22 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your builds Sidney, all the best in the challenge

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too had a family bereavement at the beginning of the challenge last year which knocked me out for 6 months. All the best mate

      Delete
  2. I wait with bated breath the marvellousness that will come forth. Always a terrifying inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what you turn out Sidney, as it is always top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do wonder if there will be a Japanese version of Laarden making its way into your Challenge posts? I'm looking forward to seeing your lovely figures once again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I await with eager anticipation what you will show us, Sydney! You have been spoiling us with your creative and brilliant work (figures and stories!) over the years. Have a great Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes Sidney though I must confess to being a tad worried by seeing 2 jars of clear water on your painting table - I reckon it doubles the chance of you accidentally taking a long refreshing drink from one of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just one of the hazards!!

      I like to **think** it's what the cool kids do to super-clean their brushes in two water pots. We're about to find the truth about second-jar-redundancy, I fear!!

      Delete
  7. Welcome back mate, I hope you have a great Challenge and thank you in advance for the inspiration that you always deliver in spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Paul, thanks so much, mate. It's great to be back in the fold of painting insanity.

      Delete
  8. It's always nice to see your fantastic brushwork. I'm excited to seeing it applied to some bushi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Stuart.... bushi and bashō are the watchwords this Challenge... LOL

      Delete
  9. Good to see you back Sid, I always enjoy your work. Anything from Laarden on the go?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Probably not much from Laarden this time....sorry! But there might hopefully be other stuff, maybe even including some ships.... shhhh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you’re joining us again Sidney, your work is always pure delight. I might be marshalling a few Japanese skirmish models for some project or other. Can’t think what, but maybe I’ll remember over the course of the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, eagerly await your Japanese miniatures!

    ReplyDelete