Friday 9 February 2024

From Curt - Oni Villains for 'Hametsu' (35 points)

Back to my Hametsu project. Here are five Oni demons to pit as villains against our intrepid heroes. This is the the first group of five.

I wanted a motley bunch of rogues for the Oni, thinking they should all be unique in their overall look. Thankfully, there are a load of suitable models available on Myminifactory, so I was fairly spoiled for choice.






I printed these at 40mm to make them a little more opposing when set against the character figures which are around 30-35mm. The red edge on the base is to denote their 180 degree field of vision in the game.

These 5 red nasties should give me 35 points to add to my tally.

Thanks for popping in. I hope you have a great weekend!

- Curt

From Millsy: Very nice indeed Curt! Oni are such an iconic creature from Japanese mythos and the raft of different ways they can be represented is one of the most interesting facets from a modelling perspective for me. You've got a great bunch here, ranging from the more humanistic versions right through to the more beasty types, all tied together with a great colour scheme. If I had to pick a favourite it would be number two who has a distinctly Hellboy vibe for me. Lovely brushwork mate and another 35 points for your tally!

39 comments:

  1. There is something so evocative about the bright Red Oni, so characteristic of Japanese Mythos. I have a bunch awaiting attention in my 'pile of potential' - I hope they come out as nicely as yours have. (I particularly like the contrast of the skin and clothing with the turquoise armour) What a great and fearsome collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Yes, I thought my Oni had to be the traditional red. Looking forward to seeing your demons in the future.

      Delete
  2. These are great!I particularly love the way you have defines the armour edges. I'm off to google Hametsu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. I think you'd enjoy Hametsu. Very small model count required and yet has great potential for tale-telling.

      Delete
  3. Lovely skin tones and that touch of turquoise armour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work Curt. I know next to nothing about Oni, yet I remember encountering back in the ad&d days many moons ago. These really look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a stretch back to be sure! Glad you like them. :)

      Delete
  5. Love these, never really liked oni figures but these changed my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. My outreach efforts on behalf of all Oni are coming to fruition. :)

      Delete
  6. These Oni are wonderfully painted an will no doubt be hard to deal with on the battlefield. Really love the pallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tom. One-on-one the Oni are not too scary on the tabletop, BUT when encountered in well-commanded groups they can introduce some real problems for the heroes.

      Delete
  7. Your choice of colours is, as per usual, sublime. It really enhances the detail on the miniatures and creates this dark and foreboding atmosphere around the figures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great addition to your range !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. Yes, I'm happy to have these ready to roll for our next game.

      Delete
  9. Love the red lady Oni in particular -- a real Mercy Sparx vibe to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, absolutely. She's definitely channeling some 'Mercy' there. :)

      Delete
  10. Absolutely fantastic Curt. I’ll be dropping Scooby snacks to avoid these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a poison rice ball here and there would not go amis with these nasties. :)

      Delete
  11. Good Job! I like how the color scheme brings them together visually as a fighting unit without a formal common uniform. Also like the use of red edge on based to mark the front 180 .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of having too many markers on the board and thought simple paint-to-the-edge would suffice for vision arc.

      Delete
  12. Brilliant entry again Curt - amazing red skin -it works so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kerry! They look like many Canadian 'Snow Birds' found on southern beaches during winter. :)

      Delete
  13. ... the skin tone that is - definitely NOT the physique! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this project. That red really pops

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fantastic addition to you ever growing range of figures, the painting is superb as always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great balance of eclectic and yet tied together - the red really works for that. I specially like the female Oni to add more variation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry I missed this one dude - these guys look amazing! The red is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete