Monday 26 January 2015

From BenG - Welsh Hearthguard (25 Points)


My attention to this year's Challenge has been limited by lack of time at home. I've been too busy with the family during our summer break, having fun in the sun at the beach most recently!




My Welsh Warlord needed a band of loyal retainers, so these were the next on the painting table. They would have been finished a long time ago, except I had some trouble with the shield designs, especially with the axe-wielding chap. I had drawn a great Celtic wild boar on the shield with a fine-liner style pen, but when I varnished the shield, the ink just smeared all over the place! My blood pressure soared and a few expletives were uttered and after a cooling down period I settled on a trefoil pattern instead, which isn't really up to scratch, but I thought I'd quit while I was ahead :-(









On the other hand, I'm quite pleased with the other shield designs, the tartan patterns on the cloaks, and while the colours are a little plain, I'm pleased with how the knot design turned out on the banner.








12 comments:

  1. Great work puts my Dark age figures to shame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark Age awesomness. Nice! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work Ben. Shame about the varnish incident with the original shield design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sold my SAGA stuff last week. But looking at this is making me wonder if I made a mistake. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tartan is real nice, I am thinking of doing Welsh as my second Saga force, hope I can do as well

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work, shame about the fugitive boar... But like a true hero, you rallied and saved the day! I do like a good warband, and these fellows are the business alright!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work, shame about the fugitive boar... But like a true hero, you rallied and saved the day! I do like a good warband, and these fellows are the business alright!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I commend you for going for it. I think the results are quite good. I, personally, am caught in the cycle of not feeling my work is good enough so I never improve because I don't practice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful brushwork Ben. Kudos for the hand painted shields and banner!

    ReplyDelete