Wednesday 16 March 2016

From BillA - Balor, Fire Demon/Major Demon (30 Points)

With this entry, I will be concluding my participation in this year's Painting Challenge - I just know I'm not getting anything else done before the deadline of Sunday, but I feel like I've saved one of the best pieces for last.  A few weeks back I posted some Frostgrave warbands, and I noted for the second group that a Major Demon was still forthcoming - well, here he is!


This is Reaper's "Balor, Fire Demon," painted to match my Minor Demon as well as to fit my personal idea of what a Balrog from the Lord of the Rings should look like, as a creature of fire and smoke.  Although truth be told, I came up with his color scheme first, and painted my Minor Demon to match *him*!


I had a bit of a long road with him - I bought him originally from my new Friendly Local Gaming Store, only to get him home and discover his right foot was missing.  A quick email to Reaper got me a replacement figure a few days later, so I still have most of a copy of this fellow in my bits box.


The whip in his right hand was reposed to make it a little more dynamic.  I was going to paint an electrical effect on his sword, but there were so many incised runes and the blood channel that I didn't think lightning bolts painted on would look good.


He's also a BIG boy - his base is just shy of 3 inches across, and hoof to flaming mane he stands almost four inches tall.  Other than Reaper's Bones Cthulhu, I've never painted a figure this big or bigger before.


So that's it for me this year - thank you all for your kind comments on my posts, and to you Curt for letting me participate.  Let's all meet back here in December and do it again, sound good?

Oh, he's a baad, baad boy, to be sure - and a big lad as well!  Great work, Bill. I love the flame effects you've given him for his wings, whip and molten base - brilliant work. I also see that you've handily broken past your points target so a hearty congratulations for that!
It was wonderful having you with us Bill - I enjoyed your entries, enthusiasm and sense of humour. I hope we can do it all again soon!

15 comments:

  1. Great way to finish. Top stuff, make a foot an have 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about having the other one manifesting out of fire/smoke, and have his stumpy right leg hidden in that :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely painting Bill - the orange glow on the wings is very well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot flamin wings of death! Thats one big bad beastie. really nice! cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a real beast and no mistake Bill. Love the graduation of colour on his wings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one massive figure! Those wings do look fantastic, nice blending!

    What a perfect way to wind things up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may not have painted a figure that big before but you have done it Justice It looks ace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's a scary chap and a half!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific stuff, Bill, enough to give the most hardened dungeon adventurers pause!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff, love the blending!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive work... were is Gandalf when you need him! The wings glow and I love the effect on the base.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the fire-effects are really well done on this figure, cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's a beast of a... well, beast! Mighty fine work on his wings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very nice model, Bill! From the ground work to his flaming wings, he is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete