Wednesday 16 March 2016

From BrendonW - Big Red Dragon (30 Points)

1 x Mantic Plastic Dragon (28mm scale) by Mantic.

This gigantic dude came with a bunch of Mantic Dungeon Saga kickstarter stuff. Made of a flexible plastic perhaps more associated with actual toys than wargame miniatures. It came mostly assembled except for the wings and wing with arm. I probably would have made a different colour for the belly scales if it didn't come already firmly attached to the base. I thought only briefly about what colour to paint before I decided well he can work for my Red and Black forces in Kings of War games. Once I decided on a Red Dragon I thought well he can be....well...really red and mostly red. Being mostly assembled means a lot of brush access issues as well.





I spent a lot of time on the horn details and I am considering giving that part a gloss varnish. Very satisfied with how they look in the end. I should gloss a few layers on the eyes as well.
If you are a clever inner glow painter there is plenty of depth in the chest area to perhaps get that brewing up a flame or lightning blast thing happening. These photos don't actually show up some of the highlights on the red all that good.



Some Red and Black Knights alongside to help give a sense of scale to this beast, the biggest Dragon I have ever owned. His base is 75 x 75mm. The body scales tend to look a little soft as far as sculpted detail is concerned but his overall impact is really good. The tail is perhaps shorter and wider and bulkier than what most gamers would expect as well. However it's a muscled up hulk of a Dragon. Now to come up with a name. Perhaps Karangor. 

This is highly likely my last submission for this glorious challenge. It's been a blast everyone and thanks to Curt and Millsy (Thursday crew boss). CHEERS!

Wowza! What a glorious beast!! I love the purist, all-red approach to him and the detailing on his horns, teeth and eyes are just spectacular. Great job Brendon! For scoring I'll count him as two 28mm vehicles (frankly he looks like he's ready to eat that many). 
It was wonderful to have you along with us again this year Mr. Kiwi, and a pleasure to have your talents highlighting the Challenge. Until next time. 

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely drake Brendon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just incredible - really well done. I feel like he could swoop in here and vaporize the snow storm bearing down on my house tonight (f*ck the Canadian weather in March). I would also like to feed this guy the local teenagers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, Brendon, a very impressive piece of painting and modelling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a corker Brendon! I'm with Curt, he's a proper old school big red dragon and what's better than that??? You're welcome too mate, it was an absolute pleasure...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. Was a challenging beast to paint. Who knows with the small extension of time. Maybe I will get one more submission done? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's a real beaut Brendon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Dragons go it is very RED and very large. And what a fabulous paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Classic dragon, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fatboy! I love the work around the face, really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW thats a cool looking Dragon! Its Huge and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks fellow painters. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Certainly quite an impressive beast! Well done.

    ReplyDelete