Sunday 20 March 2016

From IanW Final Submission - The Squares(30 Points)

I just had to finish with either Prussian or French 6mm Napoleonic's and this has been something I have been wanting to do at some point for the last couple of years so seemed perfect finish for me.

These are almost all Adler with a few Baccus dead thrown in to extend the mix of prone figures. These are two squares, one Ligne and the other Legere. To get the effect I bought the skirmish poses (three figures) and the casualty packs thus allowing for a rather dramatic finish. As our infantry are based on 60x60mm bases this allows a lot of opportunities to make mini diorama. . 

Adler Napoleonic figures have so much more life to them than the majority of 15mm figures! This makes them a joy to paint but also of course increases the amount of time it takes to paint them. Indeed I have spent about 16 hours on these two bases.

The dynamic poses actually make this a little sombre to paint up as all the figures needed snipping off their strips and placing in position. This is normally a major hassle as it's a pain to line them up nice and straight. Here though it was a lot more fun as I tried to make all sides of the squares as different as possible.

This side shows this square in the moment of collapse, a gap has been made in the wall and just needs exploiting.

Birds eye view, would look better with the smoke added but I can add and take it off when they get to the table.

The second square is much the same as the first though the figure arrangement is different, honest.

I have actually still to add the grass tufts but the ones I received recently have been mislaid, will be around somewhere LOL.

Again the feeling is that this square is on the point of collapse, only the colours is kept in the centre, all other troops are now at the edge.

So both squares together score 30 points, that's 0.5 point per infantry man on his feet and 0.25 points for the prone figures.

I have kept a record of the time spent on this years challenge, not in hours as that would scare the hell out of me but it songs. I have played a total of 2157 songs during this years challenge including Rush's 2112 and Hemispheres, somewhat worrying LOL

So I hope it''s a fitting end for my challenge and I will leave you all with my thanks to Curt for running this excellent yearly event and to Peter my weekly master, thanks for the support and kind words both of you, my output was increased and motivation stoked :-)

From Minion Dave
 
Now that a great ending Ian . I love the story telling you have put together with these. The good thing about 6mm is of course is that does allow to do that kind of thing - and you really are a master at it. I see this also takes you past your revised challenge target of 1000 as well - cracking.

That is a lot of songs Ian - hopefully you found some you had not listened to for a while. 

20 comments:

  1. Well done Ian, you've gone out on a high note here. I again had to do a double take to make sure that these weren't 15mms. It was great having you on team Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on these squares Ian :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, really happy to finally get them done

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Fantastic minis..... And they really are mini! The smaller scales really do give a great opportunity to do dioramas on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, that was one big reason to go 60x60

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Great stuff, this must look magnificent on a fully laid out table indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well these should find a way to get on the table soon, Lee thinks I need twenty more, seems to have a high expectation of his cavalry :-)

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Yeehaw! One more tasty 6mm entry from you Ian. I so enjoyed your work this year and look forward to seeing you on the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Anne. your work goes up a notch every time :-)

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Amazing work for 6mm's! You really are able to pick out amazing amounts of detail from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuli, have to admit the sculpting and the ink help a lot
      Ian

      Delete
  7. You have been submitting these all winter and I still don't believe they are 6mm. Brilliant work

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are beautiful, Ian! The vignettes from last year with the lads receiving shot in column and formation were really good, but these are amazing! A bit of a story in each unit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic stuff Ian! I have a few packs of these Adlers as well and have always wanted to do a shattered square and now I know how to do it and what it should look like! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These really look awesome Ian! I think you've nailed the desperate feel of a collapsing unit. And all that in 6mm, I'm impressed. Should I ever do Napoleonics I should really give 6mm a try.

    ReplyDelete