Wednesday 18 January 2017

From JasperO: The 24th will advance! (50 Points)

The last few years, my main project has been the American War of Independence in the south. Yep, that says years, because I paint at glacial speed, and manage to get distracted by a variety of half-baked ideas along the way. So progress tends to be pretty slow. I'd already planned and prepped some AWI figures for the Challenge, but events interfered with my initial choice.


You see, I'm involved with the organisation of PolderCon, a play (nearly) - only event here in the Netherlands. Just before the start of the Challenge, one game host had to cancel, and I offered to replace him with a Black Powder table. PolderCon this year is themed, for 'rear-guard actions', and I knew just the scenario from the wonderful Rebellion book. The Battle of Hubbardton it would be, but that took place during the Saratoga campaign in 1777 - not the American south. And yes, I am that kind of 'peculiar' that, when the uniforms are visibly different, I want the correct ones. So, until February 12th, my Painting Challenge will be dedicated to that battle.

The first bases for that project have now come off the painting table. When I made the switch in projects, it was only days before we would depart on our Christmas vacation, but luckily I had sufficient numbers of the correct Perry miniatures laying about (how do these things happen? ;-) ). The required two bases for two companies of the 24th of Foot are now complete - all Perry figures. The command base will have to wait till after PolderCon, when I'll have to make the agonizing decision whether to be (probably) entirely historical and not use any flags, or whether I'll ignore that and add those in anyway. 10 figures, so that should be 50 points towards 400...



ByronM: Another late comer to the challenge, looking to avoid the cull this weekend, and another most excellent entry!  I love the dramatic posing of the figures and the really nice and clean paint job on these.  I seriously hope we get to see more like this from you Jasper!  

32 comments:

  1. Lovely work for your first entry Jasper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful looking unit, Jasper. I can see why you are wringing your hands about being historically correct as I'd be sorely tempted to put a full colour party with these chaps. I look forward to seeing more. Welcome to the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic looking bases, I really love these

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! Love the look of the last photo there! Welcome to the competition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent ... worth the wait

    ReplyDelete
  6. a Great entry Jasper and I am glad to see you won't be culled. There is an annual reenactment at the Hubbardton Battlefield one of the few form the revolutionary war that still looks as it did a the time. It's a wonderful place to "Play"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam. The Saratoga (and other) AWI battlefields are certainly on the bucket list. Those in particular seem to be a bit out of the way though, but someday!

      Delete
  7. Great brushwork Jasper - well done, and welcome to the Challenge mayhem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking figures really well done.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great dynamic poses, and matching quality paintwork!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work Jasper. The "glacial" speed is worth when you have results like this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look fantastic, Jasper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are gorgeous figures Jasper, I just love them. I've been painting from the same Perry range and they are very nice figs. Oddly enough I was looking at these exact packs today! Very well done and good luck with your Con.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome work Jasoer.the painting is first class, and I love the composition that gives the feel of a desperate bayonet charge. Looking forward to seeing more
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  14. You may be slow, but you certainly get results! These are a couple gorgeous bases. Well done! Looking forward to painting some Perry AWI myself this Challenge. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The kind of figures we all aspire towards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent work on these figures. I as well have a long standing AWI project I've been working on and off since 2009.:-) Great period to game and well done to you!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been following yours on your blog. Add more! ;-)

      Delete
  17. Awesome ... we're working on the same project for the Challenge (AWI - Hubbardton). It just so happens that my 24th (10mm Pendraken figs) is just about to roll off the painting desk for my next entry. Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just brilliant. The poor chap being shot and the drummer glancing over is really eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very very good work. The faces are so mean and expressive, I would get out of the way of their bayonets fast, because they look determined to use them. Jamie's description, "eye-catching", is spot on. This is work to be proud of, I would love to see the game these will be part of.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are wonderful Jasper! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great stuff Jasper, I will be sure to check them out at Poldercon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tremendous painting Jasper! I always have a sodt spot for nicely painted red uniforms as I only know to well how hard it can be to pull off.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Grand initial entry, Jasper!
    I like the animation to the unit, they look about to get stuck in! Very fine painting on them too!

    ReplyDelete