Monday 5 February 2018

From SamuliS: Achtung Minen! (1 point)

There's no hope that I'll ever be able to deliver anything close to the points bombs from some of the fellas here, so I'm going to aim for the smallest submission of the challenge!

Last week and especially weekend was really busy with my gaming club organizing the biggest wargaming tournament in Finland and I had the honour (or forced duty) to organize the Flames of War side of it. 5 games over the weekend and helping with all the logistics etc. more or less took most my painting time away so not much to show here from last weeks efforts. It wasn't all a wasted time though as I (somewhat embarrassingly as the organizer) took the victory in the FoW tournament and the Tankovy Battalion I painted last autumn snatched the best painted army of the whole tournament chosen from about 150 players throughout all the game systems.

But onto my grand entry! Two minefield for Flames of War. Version 4 of the ruleset gives the defender two free minefield for every 750 points in defensive battles. I never use Pioneers so previously I didn't need any, but now with the minefield coming through scenario rules I figured it's high time I make some to if I happen to need them in the tournament. Just basic MDF bases from Warbases that I'd bought at Salute a while back. The paving was made with Super Sculpey and the Green Stuff Worlds superb roller tool that I got as a christmas present from the missus. The rest is just basic basing pumice, stones and flock.


2 minefields measuring 8" x 2" x ~5mm (with metric being the proper civilized measurement instead of all this Imperial rubbish) amounts to some fractions of a point that probably rounds up to around the grand total of 1 point! And sorry Sidney for the admin work imposed upon you by this tiny entry, but I just had to do it ;)
________________________________________

I love this submission so much, Samuli !  There is a great pleasure in seeing things in the Challenge which we perhaps never expected.  And this is really a very unexpected minefield - without signs of any sort!  I have to say, I'm the hapless useless kind of player who, half way through a game, and in the throes of excitement, drives his armored column over the innocuous bases so carefully arranged by his opponent, then remembers its actually a minefield.  Cunning, Samuli, very cunning!

I love the way you've done the paving, in the lovely continental brickwork.  Well done for letting us know that the roller method works!  And the basing is really wonderful, even without troops positioned on it.  

As for points, I really do hate to award a single, lonely point for all your work (which is super terrain making).  However, I'd also feel mean, depriving you of the smallest (points wise) submission in Challenge VIII, and the much-beloved award of the 'Order of the Single Point' which accompanies such a submission.  

So, as I always try and remain fair to all Monday Challengers, I hereby award you one single point for this very fine entry, safe in the knowledge that it shall certainly not be your last points haul in this Challenge.  Well done!



12 comments:

  1. Well played Samuli! nice work on the minefields :)

    The "Order of the Single Point"? Hmmm, that gives me ideas for next year... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently working hard to locate a suitable trophy or medallion ;)

      Delete
  2. Lovely roads and basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Samuli. Go get yourself a beer - you've earned it after your 1pt bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is excellent work and worth more than a single point. Well done, Samuli!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give that man a medal! A great pip indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Samuli! Love it
    Hearty congrats on your best painted award at the gaming convention too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sidney, who needs signs for a minefield! No sense in making the enemy job easier ;)

    For the Order of the Single Point I'd think a gold medal would be suitable. What better than the price for the first place for a single point?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Samuli! A well deserved point indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Single Point award should be two 6mm figures.

    ReplyDelete