Wednesday 16 January 2019

From StuartL - Bad Boys, Bad Boys - 30 Points

I realise that I haven't really introduced myself to my fellow challengers, and being a first timer here, I thought that maybe I should.

Nice to meet you all. My name is Stuart and I am an addict. 

I started gaming with minis with the Hero Quest boardgame by GW/MB Games way back when, but even before that I was shooting matchsticks at toy soldiers using spring loaded 25-pdrs with my uncle. 

I grew up around military vehicles as my father enjoyed rebuilding old Land Rovers and attended rallys with other enthusiasts who had a collection of jeeps, trucks, armoured cars and even a tank or two. Needless to say I still enjoy these things, though at the much more reasonable scale of 1:48. 
I used to play 40K primarily, but about 6 years ago I got into historical gaming in a big way. Since the switch, I have been much more diligent about getting fully painted armies on the table. I have acquired numerous forces for WW2, Napoleonics, the Anglo-Zulu War and more, nearly all in 28mm. 

I am currently living near to Nagoya in the centre of Japan. There isn't a huge gaming group, but there are a few other expats and a growing number of local players, so I can usually find a game or two of something, even if I have to provide both sides myself.

I joined this challenge to see how much I could get done if I had a solid focus and goals in mind as I didn't get as much done as I had hoped last year. I set my initial target at 500 points and I think the post below should take me to that score and we are still less than 1 month in. 
So, should I rest on my laurels and lay down my brushes, or should I see if I can pass the 1500 mark before the winter comes to an end?

Just a small group of models for this week's post. Recently I bought a bunch of North Star's miniatures for A Fistful of Kung Fu. I already painted up a few of the figures before the challenge began, but I still have plenty to do. Here we have 6 cops sporting a variety of gear and weapons. The building in the background is from Knights of Dice and isn't a part of the challenge.


Providing some serious firepower, we have 3 SWAT team members in full body armour and gear. To add a bit more flavour, I have tried to give the guy on the far right a tattoo. Perhaps he was in the special forces before finishing his tour and joining up with the police department.


And here we have two beat cops and a detective. The models from North Star were nearly all nice, clean casts with very little flash. However the detective model had a slight miscast on his face. Rather than try to file it off and risk damaging the model any more, I decided to work with it and tried to paint it as a swollen, bloody mess. Now he has his hands on a shotgun and is out for revenge. I also tried to paint a chalk outline (complete with bloodstains) on his base to help set the tone a bit.


6 figures at 28mm should come to 30 Points and 1 more check on my Squirrel tally.

________________________________________________________________

Some tough looking cops there, and worthy of inclusion in the Hong Kong action film of your choice. Positively crying out for a flock of white doves!

Nice save on the wounded detective as well, very creative solution to a problem we encounter all too often in our hobby.

30 points to the gentleman in the sunglasses and white linen suit!

Ev

20 comments:

  1. Nice work Stuart, these should work very well. What's today's special at the Dainty Sichaun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. On the menu today is Kung Pao Chicken. :)

      Delete
  2. Great entry Stuart! I really liked reading your hobby bio and the figures are excellent (the beat cops and detective are my favourites). I say stretch and go for 1500 - you can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. North Star make some great minis, they were a pleasure to paint.
      1500 definitely seems doable, if I can keep my motivation up. This challenge of yours is a fantastic idea.

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking coppers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great brushwork Stuart! Love the idea with the wounded copper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it seemed like the easiest fix. The models were all great otherwise.

      Delete
  5. Stuart - great post thanks. Interesting yo are in Nagoya. My wife is Japanese so often travel back to Yokohama - Nagoya is doable on a trip so will have to plan for a potential game when I am next there?


    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, sounds good. The local gaming club is open to anyone who wants to come along, the more the merrier.

      Delete
  6. Great work Stuart and welcome to the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. It's been fun so far, lots of beautiful models to see and fellow painters to steal ideas...er.. I mean, get inspiration from. :)

      Delete