Saturday 19 January 2019

From StefanK: Rebel Troopers for Imperial Assault (15 points)

As some might have noticed, some friends and I have been playing Imperial Assault for a while. For a certain amount of time I had the idea to follow the releases to bring the whole Star Wars universe to live but luckily for my wallet Fantasy Flight Games (and in Germany Heildeberger / Asmodée) were too fast for a slow painter and volatile hobby fellow like me. Thus my efforts ended with those sets which are represented in the Imperial Assault app meaning the first wave at the moment.
Therefore I had a set of three rebel troopers lying around and somehow I felt it was time to splash some paint on them. Rather soon we want to continue with our campaign and we might need those allies to fight the fierde forces of the Galactic Empire.

The set contains of three troopers in the well-known uniform featured in the iconic opening sequence of episode IV. They are all nice and clean casts although all three figures are identical.


Colourwise I left the greyish 1970s schene a bit and went for the more colourful blue and khaki scheme wich the computer game Star Wars: Battlefront delivered.


After all those models were truly fun to paint. The details all crisp and clear, the facial expression easy to follow and a simple uniform which allowed a quick painting style.


As usual I used Vallejo paints for most parts of the figures and the Wargames Foundry skin coulours for face and hands.
Only the bases are bit of a problem. Imperial Assault may be set in various surroundings from the wooded areas of Endor to the dark and grimy hangars of an outer rim space port. Therefore I didn't find a good solution for shaped bases and left them greyish. So I applied some dark grey and added a series of lighter splashes.

Nevertheless I'm still pondering about changing to clear acrylic bases but I haven't brought myself to re-basing my whole Imperial Assault collection yet.

----------------------------------------

Guest minion Byron still here, Wow, what an awesome entry this is.  

I love Star Wars which is a good start, but I love great paint jobs even more!  I really love the colours, the hard highlights and the smooth look of these. It is a style that many of the great painters in this challenge have.  It is also one that even though I can paint well enough, I just can not emulate and am jealous of your ability here.

Great work and keep it up, I want to see more!  I also wouldn't mind seeing a tutorial on how you do your faces as they are top notch and something I always struggle with.

15 well earned points!

20 comments:

  1. Stefan, they are soooo Cool, top marks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on these Stefan, nice crisp brush work and I love the blue. I think that you made the right call doing the bases grey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smashing job on these Stefan! A shame though they suffer from that dreaded mono-pose-syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible work, there! Very nice figures, even if they are all monopose.

    How well do the minis of Imperial Assault hold up, especially given the complaints that Legion figures are a bit soft?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking rebels! Monopose or not you've done a great job on these and I'd say it's a good call on the bases!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cleanness of the lines you always get in your painting. Brilliant quality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look just wonderful Stefan! Your Star Wars entry are top shelf!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a cracking submission Stefan. Wonderfully painted ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, clean brushwork Stefan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent paint work, thos blue sleeves have a great finish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice indeed, these look great

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work! I went for a darkish brown for my basing, which works OK indoors and out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful brushwork mate! The blending is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monopose can be a curse, but fine brushwork like this makes all worries vanish! That is tremendous brushwork, really something.

    ReplyDelete